Will Transplanted Hair Graft Allow Hair to Go After Lowering the Hairline to Where Pimples/Cysts Used to Be on Frontal Scalp?

I had a hair line lowering procedure 2 months and 2 weeks ago, and I'm a little worried that hair might not produce where the hairline was lowered to because of previous cysts/pimples/redness. I don't have any hair loss problem, but the frontal area is very itchy and I see some thinning of my native hair. Do you think the transplanted grafts will allow hair to grow although there were pimples on my hairline/scalp? What can I do about my thinning hair? My scalps is clear right now, just waiting for hair to grow. 

Follow up with your doctor to make sure you are healing.

Follow up with your doctor to make sure you are healing.  It may look worse before it gets better. Transplanted hair usually start to make a difference around 6 to 12 months.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

New Growth After a Hair Transplant

Previous pimples or cysts in the area should not significantly affect the chances of success. You need to give the transplant more time. At just over two months after surgery, you might not see new hair growth for another two or three months. New hair growth usually occurs 14 to 16 weeks after the surgery, which usually maxes out at a year.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Growth of hair after hairline procedure

You need to give the hairs in the very front 4 months after surgery to start growing.  If you have active acne you should be treated for it. Address any thinning concerns if there is no regrowth of shed hairs after 6 months. The itchy sensation usually is associated with early return of sensation to the frontal scalp.

Was your hairline lowering done with transplants or a surgical scalp advancement? It may make a difference in my answer. My answer pertains to the latter procedure but much of it would also apply to grafts other than grafts sometimes do not do so well in mature scar tissue. . 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon