What Happens When Transplanted Hair is About to Fall Out, Will More Grow?

Recently had a hair transplant and was curious if transplanted hair will fall out when new hair will take its place.

Hair Loss after Hair Transplant

+1

Almost all the hair after a hair transplant falls out after a few weeks.  This is normal.  At about 3-4 months it will begin to regrow. 

Typical Hair Transplant Regrowth

+1

This is a question you must ask your surgeon, but I typically tell patients that it takes around 2 weeks for the hairs to start falling out, then the hairs regrow in as soon as 3 to 4 months.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is normal for the outer part of the transplanted hair to fall out

+1

The outer part of the transplanted hair usually falls out, while the follicle takes root and starts to grow. You may see new hairs beginning in as little as ten weeks.

This is the start of the exciting time as you see the hairs grow in number, length, and in thickness

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Falling out After Hair Transplant

+1

It is normal for the initial transplants to fall out, or get “pushed out” about 3 to 4 weeks after the procedure. This hair becomes detached from the follicle and sheds in order to make way for healthy new hair to emerge from the follicle.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Transplanted Hair Grafts Transition between 8-12 weeks after procedure

+1

After micrograft hair transplant surgery, usually 75% of the follicles will transition out of the scalp called "emergence" or telogen phase. Within a month of this occurring there is noticeable new hair growth. It is not uncommon to see 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of growth at 16 weeks. I encourage my patients to take codliver oil, and ultrahair supplements to help accelerate new hair graft growth. Topical Minoxidil is also used after all the healing has occurred. I also encourage a High Protein diet.

Michael B. Lyons, MD, FACS
Mobile Facial Plastic Surgeon