Transjunctival Blepharoplasty Fat Graft. How to Remove Overfilled Fat?

I had pearl fat transferred under lower eyelids to correct hollowness over a year ago. My surgeon overfilled so now I have puffy pockets under and in direct connection to my lower eyelids. I would appreciate if you could advice me in this matter. Can I have a safe second transjunctival blepharoplasty for removal of the fat? Are there any problems if the grafted fat is heavily connected to the lower eyelids? Are there any other safe options than an operation?

Direct Transconjunctival Removal Best for Overfill Fat Transfer Eyes

+1

Excess Fat Transplant to the eyelids is best removed by a Transconjunctival approach to remove the excess fat.

Injections with steroids risk uneven appearance.

Removal of Excess Fat Grats in Lower Eyelid

+1

A second transconjunctival blepharoplasty to remove the excess grafted fat is the most reliable technique with more predictable results. Other techniques such as steroid injections may improve your appearance but persistent irregularity is frequently frustrating.

Removing overfilled eyelid fat

+1

Repeat transconjunctival bleopharoplasty could be done to approach the excess fat for removal. In that area other methods of fat removal such as liposuction can be difficult and less predictable.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat graft

+1

Assuming the fat graft was done through a transconjunctival approach, the only way to remove it is by surgical removal. Another transconjunctival approach is possible, because probably the fat was put directly on the bone. It need to be seperated from the bone and the muscle aboe it. It can be trimmed and leave the appropriate amount.

Removing overfilled fat graft from eye area

+1

Generally, removing grafted fat that is overdone or has overgrown (a rare but possible outcome), requires surgical removal.  In other words, nonsurgical methods such as steroid injection are unreliable, unpredictable, and risk creating other problems.  Liposuction is not a great option either, because of the small size of the graft, and the surrounding scar tissue.  Make sure you find a plastic surgeon who is comfortable doing this kind of revision. 

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon