Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty Recovery Recommendations?

Hello, I am going to see a plastic surgeon tomorrow about under eye bags. The fat is bulging and causing dark lines and a tired appearance. If he recommends a transconjunctival bleph, I will ask him the same question. I am a 36 years old male. I have a night job so I don't get enough sun exposure. I also have mild high blood pressure (no meds necessary at this time) and I have had LASIK about 10 years ago. What are all the best things to do for not only a quick recovery but an optimal recovery?

Transconjunctival blepharoplasty recovery

+2

The recovery from a transconjunctival blepharoplasty is approximately 10-14 days of swelling and bruising underneath the eyelids.  It is important to make sure there are no underlying preexisting medical conditions such as high blood pressure.  Patients must discontinue any smoking, tobacco use, and blood thinners prior to the surgery.

Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty recovery recommendations?

+2

Healthy people do well with planned cosmetic surgery. As long as your high blood pressure is well controlled (I recommend you see your medical doctor to confirm) and that you don't have dry or wet eyes following your previous eye procedure, you should do well.  A transconjuctival blepharoplasty is an ideal way to approach the excess fat on the lower lids that can increase shadowing.

Best of luck and hope this helps

Sean Doherty, MD

Sean T. Doherty, MD, FACS

+2

The only thing unique about your situation is the history of LASIK.  You must make sure your eyes aren't dry (LASIK can predipose to that) or you will have a difficult recovery.  See an Oculoplastic surgeon for a detailed examination and recommendation.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty recovery

+2

None of the factors you mentioned should really affect your recovery.  You will need ice, ice and more ice to keep the swelling down.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal conditions for lower eyelid surgery recovery

+2

I suggest my patients do the following to minimize their post op recovery after this procedure. Firstly, they have to stop any type of 'blood thinning' medication or supplement such as motrin/asprin or vitamin E/ fish oil etc. Your surgeon will discuss with you a complete list as well as an ideal time to stop before and resume afterwards. I also suggest to keep the head elevated and to use cold compresses over the eyes for 2-3 days after the procedure. I prescribe a topical antibiotic/steroid eyedrops as well that my patients use for 5 days after the procedure. Lastly, I am strict about my patients not doing any kind of strenuous activity for 2 weeks after the procedure, that includes any kind of heavy lifting, or bending over or exercising. All these recommendations will decrease any swelling and bruising after the procedure and optimize your recovery. Good luck!

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Blepharoplasty results

+2

I usually recommend avoiding any medications that can cause bleeding before surgery including some foods. Post-surgery I recommend ice packs and elevation.

Preparing for blepharoplasty

+2

It sounds as if you are an ideal candidate for a transconj blepharoplasty, at least from your description and without pictures. It is very important to avoid over the counter medications that contribute to increased bleeding, such as any aspirin containing products and NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen, alleve, and the like.  

I find that fish oil and vitamin e also cause bleeding, as do many herbal products. Do tell your PS that you have had LASIK. You may be more prone to dryness and need lubrication. Ice and elevation as mentioned are important. And of course you want to make sure your BP is controlled.

Good luck

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Keys to a quick recovery

+2

Avoid straining or heavy lifting for two weeks, as well as aspirin, non steroidal anti inflammatories and certain herbs and vitamin e.

I recommend ice packs to the eyes for 48 hours and to sleep with your head elevated.  Good luck, I hope this helps!

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Recovery

+2

The best two things that you can do to help with your recovery are to keep the head of your bed elevated for the first week, and to diligently keep ice packs on your eyes for the first four days.  This will make a tremendous difference in how much you swell, bruise and hurt during that first week of recovery.  Make sure that your surgeon is comfortable with your blood pressure management prior to surgery as uncontrolled blood pressure spikes can cause dangerous bleeding after surgery.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty Recovery

+1

LASIK surgery can increase your risk of dry eye, even if your LASIK surgery was years ago.  If you and your surgeon are at all concerned about dry eye it may be useful to get a Schirmer test prior to your procedure to attempt to measure the dryness of your eye.  The Schirmer's test determines whether the eye produces enough tears to keep it moist.  After surgery, there are a number of things you can do to ensure an optimal recovery: 1.) Follow your doctor’s post op instructions, including the use of ice packs 2.) Eat a proper diet with plenty of dense nutrient foods and avoid processed foods 3.)  Ensure you are well hydrated.  Finally, you should be aware that blepharoplasty surgery may not resolve all “dark circle” symptoms.  Sometimes these dark circles are caused by differences in skin pigment under the eyes – which will not necessarily be changed by the surgery.  I hope this helps.  Good luck with your surgery. 

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon