Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty for Men - when Can I Begin Working out After Surgery?

I have "bags" under my eyes which make me look tired all the time. I'm a 42 year old healthy male. I bruise easily. How much bruising should I expect? How soon after my surgery can I begin exercising again (2 weeks?)? Thanks Dr.'s

I would suggest waiting 2 weeks after surgery for heavy exercise

+1

Bruising and swelling varies greatly between patients and is difficult to predict. There are camouflage techniques available for both men and women that can be started immediately if there are no external incisions and after two weeks if you do require external incisions during your surgical procedure. For the best surgical outcomes, it is our recommendation that you refrain from heavy aerobic and lifting exercises for 2 weeks following surgery. However, light walking can be done approximately 48 hours following the surgical procedure.  Refraining from heavy lifting and exercising reduces the blood pressure which can also lead to a reduction in bruising.  Many of our patients also take over the counter arnica as a natural supplement to aid in the healing and bruising process.

Kirkland Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery

+1

Two weeks is usually too soon as this may cause more swelling.  Usually 4-5 weeks is closer to a mild workout time.  Many times, we see little to no bruising after the procedure.  This varies with patients.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

No exercising for two week after blepharoplasty

+1

It is best to wait at least 2 weeks before exercising after a blepharoplasty.  It is important not to raise your heart rate or blood pressure prior to that since it can cause hemorrhaging or more swelling in the eyelids.  

Hard to understand your issue from this photo.

+1

It is not at all clear that a transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty will help your lower eyelid issue.  Rather than focusing on the procedure, you should focus on finding the right surgeon.  Let the surgeon assess you and your concerns and then based on that examination, offer you solutions for your concerns.  Otherwise you are essentially prescribing your own surgery which may or may not be the right procedure for you.

You should refrain from strenuous activity for 1 month after eyelid surgery

+1

After eyelid surgery, I'd avoid any strenuous activity including workouts for 1 month after your eyelid surgery.  Bruising and swelling is variable from patient to patient but typically goes away after a week, or so, with a Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty.

Bruising, Exercise and Blepharoplasty

+1

If you know you are a "bruiser" expect to have some after blepharoplasty.  While an excessive amount is uncommon, it can occur and even last weeks.  Your surgeon will have you stop any medications that might increase the risk of bleeding/bruising such as aspirin, and will address nonprescription supplements that can also cause problems such as vitamin E.  Some surgeons, myself included, will start patients on supplements such as arnica montana and bromelein to try and minimize the bruising as well.

As for working out, every surgeon has his/her own ideas on the subject.  I restrict my blepharoplasty patients for 2 weeks after surgery, after which time they can begin to exercise again.

Alan Brackup, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon