Is It Possible to Have Transcon Lower Lid Blepharoplasty Performed on Only One Eye Due to Orbital Trauma?

I am 30 y.o. & was hit in the eye (with strong impact) by my baby about six months ago. Since the incident the eyelid looks like it has aged rapidly (less elastic with more noticeable bags). From my research I believe I sustained orbital septum damage & consequent fatty orbital herniation. Side note: I have suffered from eyelid eczema for many years & have intermittently used mild topical corticosteroids (could this have compromised my OS?). Is it possible to repair the OS & reposition the fat?

Blepharoplasty Performed on Only One Eye Possible?

+1

Thank you for your question. You will need to see an Oculoplastic surgeon, possibly a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and a Board Certified Dermatologist to discuss your medical conditions, risks for more surgery, and the potential benefit vs. risk for your proposed surgery.  Steroid creams are often used for eczema and when used properly are safe. As long as you have been supervised by your doctor and you have taken regular breaks, this is unlikely to have contributed. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Lower blepharoplasty for only one eye

+1

While it is possible to have a transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty for only 1 eye, it is more important to have both eyes looking symmetrical.  Asymmetric fat removal can be performed to make sure the eyes are more symmetrical after full healing has taken place.

Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty after Trauma

+1

Transconjunctival blepharoplasty is one approach to rejuvenate the lower eyelids, where fat is removed and/or repositioned. No skin is removed or lifted with this method and is appropriate for only certain patients. Lower eyelid surgery is normally performed on both sides. However, plastic surgeons tailor the procedure for each patient. Some patients only require a procedure on one side.

I see young women frequently who have been hit by their baby's head, with broken noses or black eyes. Most of the time no surgery needs to be performed. Prior to performing eyelid surgery, one option to consider is Restylane treatment to help improve the lower eyelid appearance. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

One Eye Surgery for Fat Prolapse

+1

It is certainly possible to do surgery on only one eyelid if that is all that needs it.  I have done it in the past but it is rare.  Steroids will thin the lid skin and a trauma will certainly cause fat prolapse.  You may want to find out why you have eczema of the lids.  Chemical testing can detect what you are reacting to to cause the eczema. 

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

If indeed your theory is correct, then one could have transconjunctival blepharoplasty in one eyelid only.  Eventually, it may be needed in the other eyelid.  However, it is very important for you to have an Oculoplastic surgeon evaluate your eyelids to truly identify the cause of unilateral eyelid swelling.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

It could be both

+1

Your asymmetric fat prolapse could be related to both the long time use of steroid cream [it thins tissues] AND trauma/swelling from your injury.

If this hasn't resolved in a few weeks, you could consider blepharoplasty. It would be helpful to post photos. Even better is a consultation with a surgeon experienced in eyelid surgery.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon