Is Transblepharoplasty Brow Lift Better Than Blepharoplasty?

I have sagging upper eye brow area that includes the temple area. Should I have a lateral brow lift or upper eyelid surgery? That whole area has become very lax and my upper eyelids are now sagging a lot.

Browlift vs Upper Blepharoplasty

+2

A browlift will elevate the brows to their proper position and decrease the heavy, hooded appearance of the tissue below the brows. A secondary effect is eliminating some excess skin of the upper eyelids. A blepharoplasty will remove excess skin of the upper eyelids and may actually pull the brows down. I cannot make recommendations on the basis of the pictures submitted. A picture with your head level looking directly into the camera would be helpful. However, as best I can tell, I probably would recommend a browlift followed by a blepharoplasty.

You will benefit from upper blepharoplasty, not a brow lift

+1
Your picture shows excess eyelid skin, not brow skin, which is creating the fold over your eye.

A traditional upper blepharoplasty will correct the eyelid laxity. If your eyebrow is 1 cm above the brow bone at the high point of the eyelbrow arch, you do not need a brow lift, transblepharoplasty brow lift or standard brow lift.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

For me, not a good view to make the call

+1

You may need both or just one. You should be evaluated with a "face on - Normal" eye picture.  From what you have sent, just an eyelid procedure may correct the problem. Best thing to do is to see a doctor in your area to assess your question. 

Michael Kulick, MD

The two are different procedures with different goals

+1

The browlift, transbleph or endoscopic or open, is intended to elevate the brows. This can reduce the excess of skin in the upper lids and tighten the lateral area where there may be hooding as the brow comes down over time. On occasion, this can tke care of the whole problem. Other times, the bleph is all you need if the brows are in reasonable position and there is no lateral hooding. Sometimes, both procedures are indicated. From your photo, I think you could do well with the bleph alone.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

I think you might benefit from both.

+1

A lateral brow lift would treat the skin redundancy in the outer portions of the eyelid but do little for the excess in the inner regions.

I believe you would do best having a combination of both procedures to obtain an optimal result.