Is A Transauxiliary Incision for Breast Augmentation Safe While Mid-treatment for IPL Laser Hair Removal?

I am considering having a breast augmentation but I am halfway through my IPL laser hair removal (completed 4 of 8) for my armpit area. Is it safe to have this as the incision site or do I need to pause my IPL treatments? If so, how long should I wait after my last laser treatment to have the incision? Thanks!

Transaxillary Breast Augmentation

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

It is safe to perform a transaxillary breast augmentation if you are currently undergoing laser hair removal in the armpit region. I would recommend avoiding the scarline during the hair removal process in order to avoid any potential untoward results. Out of curiosity, why get a breast augmentation through a transaxillary approach ? 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Transaxillary breast augmentation and IPL hair removal

+1

Wounds often heal from the deeper structures of the skin and the injury to the hair follicles can cause delayed healing if immediately around the incision and within the intial 6 week period following the surgery.

Is A Transaxilliary Incision for Breast Augmentation Safe While Mid-treatment for IPL Laser Hair Removal?

+1

Regarding: "Is A Transauxiliary Incision for Breast Augmentation Safe While Mid-treatment for IPL Laser Hair Removal?
I am considering having a breast augmentation but I am halfway through my IPL laser hair removal (completed 4 of 8) for my armpit area. Is it safe to have this as the incision site or do I need to pause my IPL treatments? If so, how long should I wait after my last laser treatment to have the incision? Thanks
!"

It is not an issue of safety. The arm pit (axilla) incision is NOT affected by the intense light BUT the light will result in a darker scar. Why not complete your treatment OR wait a month or so after your surgery to resume the IPL. The ONLY reason for the transaxillary approach is a hidden inconspicuous scar. It makes NO sense to put a scar there and then blast it with light resulting in prolonged pigmentation and visibility.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Hair removal and transax augmentation

+1

I would interrupt your laser hair removal until the wounds are healed from the breast augmentation surgery.

IPL for hair removal following transaxillary breast augmentation

+1

This is actually safe but I would also suggest using another device for your hair removal.  While IPL can definitely cause temporary hair loss, it is certainly not the gold standard. 

Also, I would agree with waiting a few weeks until your incision is healed.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and laser hair removal. Lasers are ok IPL oh no

+1

Laser hair removal is safe following breast augmentation surgery but IPL is very different than lasers.  IPL systems are not ideal for laser hair removal. In an effort to try to get some kind of hair removal result from and IPL often the energy is turned up so high that it could potential;y damage the skin. I do not recommend IPL for hair removal at all and I would be very concerned about having IPL performed soon after any surgical procedure.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmenation and Laser Hair reduction

+1

Yes it is safe to have a breast augmentation while having a laser hair reduction.  However, you will likely need to have your laser hair technician shield the incision so that it is not lasered as this can result in some hyperpigmenation (darkening). This can easily be done with a tongue depressor.  This will mean that you will likely need an extra session or two to specifically treat the scar area once it is well healed.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon