Tramadol Before Surgery?

Hi. I am scheduled for a tummy tuck and breast lift on 9/19. I currently take tramadol on a daily basis. I have been taking it for years after a bad back injury. I asked my plastic surgeon and anestesiologist and both say it is fine to take even the morning of the surgery. I trust them of course but have read that it can interfere with the meds given during surgery. My dr said " many people having surgery are on pain meds and it's fine' I just would like another opinion... Or 2. :) Thank you.

Tramadol

+1
Tramadol will not have any effect on your surgery or anesthesia. I would follow the anesthesiologist's recommendation as to whether to take it the morning before surgery or not. Best wishes

Keep taking tramadol.

+1

hi. tramadol can be taken as preventive pain medicine. after surgery you can keep taking the same medication. sometimes in combination with others. 

Translation provided by doctor:

hola. tramadol puede ser tomado como analgesia preventiva. despues de la cirugia puedes continuar tomandolo, algunas veces en combinacion con otros analgesicos.

dr jpc

Juan Pablo Cervantes, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Discontinue Tramadol Before Surgery?

+1

thank you for the question. Being on Tramadol should not interfere with your surgery. Most medications that are stopped prior to surgery are stopped because on the effects it has on bleeding (increases the risk). Tramadol is an opioid used to treat pain. I agree with the opinions you have received from your physicians. Perhaps you will be able to stay on your Tramadol post operatively for pain relief.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Tramadol ok before surgery

+1

Tramadol should not interfere with your surgery or anesthesia. It does not cause increased bleeding. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tramadol and surgery

+1

Your surgeon and the anesthesiologist's advice seems sound.

This might help you to understand tramadol effects. 

• Tramadol is an opioid (narcotic) pain killer used for chronic pain like yours and for pain after surgery.
  • It is safer than some other narcotics - it does decrease your breathing, and seems safer for people who smoke, are obese or have damaged liver or kidney function.
  • Because it is a narcotic, you may have a tolerance to narcotics, needing more narcotics than usual during anesthesia and for pain after surgery.
  • Discuss with your surgeon whether after surgery, you should take more tramadol instead of higher doses of another narcotics.

Hope all goes well. Enjoy your result!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tramadol Before Surgery

+1

There should be no problem taking the medicines you regularly take up to the time of surgery unless they are on the list of meds not to take, most of which interfere with normal blood clotting. You have already gotten good opinions from the doctors who know you best. We will not have much to add.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery. Thank you for your question.