Training Requirements for Sculptra Injections?

What are they?

Experience yields best results with sculptra

+1

In my opinion, Sculptra requires a greater understanding of anatomy and greater deal of experience in cosmetic treatments for the face and with fillers specifically. I find that many physicians will inject restylane or juvederm into localized areas like the nasolabial folds or chin but they don't do full face volume restoration with filler which is the goal with sculptra. I would choose a physician with a lot of experience with all fillers including sculptra if you are considering sculptra treatment.

Charlotte Dermatologist

Sculptra training requirements

+1

Sculptra has traditionally been limited to training for what they call full core specialties that are oculofacial plastic, plastic, dermatology and facial plastic surgeons. The training requirements are defined by the company and doctors are required to get trained by trainers, such as myself, who go to their office and watch them inject patients. There are several different types of trainings available, depending on the level of sophistication of the trainer and doctors that are able to take advantage of those training sessions.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Very little.

+1

However, I think that the manufacturer does a MUCH better job training physicians in proper injection technique of Sculptra as compared with other agents. They supply the physician with ample printed and video materials and seminar opportunities, also live seminars, hands-on seminars (patient volunteers), and webinars. They will fly in a trained physician for you. They will supply physicians with continuing education opportunities. However, as in all learning situations, a student (in this case, a doctor) may interpret the information differently. Also, there can be differences in results based on dilution(s) of the agent, injection technique, eye-hand coordination, dexterity, knowledge of anatomy, knowledge of the aging face, artistic interpretation, physician-patient dialogue, etc. Continuing medical education (CME) is important with Sculptra, as new techniques are evolving. I recommend that you ask your doctor to show you pictures of some of their patients("before" and "after" photos). Regards.

Christine Glavey, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon

The training requirements are unique:

+1

I train for Sculptra and have since it was first introduced.

They require the following of physicians who wish to become certified injectors:

• They are a specialist in Plastic Surgery; Dermatology; Occuloplastic Surgery; Facial Plastic Surgery;  (They usually do not accept other practitioners for training, but have made exceptions when it was largely used for HIV and AIDs Patients)
  • A face to face  session with a certified injector to review their detailed information
  • Instruction and visualization of proper preparation of Sculptra
  • Participating in the interview and informed consent process of an actual patient
  • Observation of a certified injector injecting  one of  his patients
  • Injection by the trainee of at least one of his own patients
  • Training in the proper post injection routines

This system is unique to Scuptra and not required for any other filler or injection.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon