Would Traditional Lipo or Smart Lipo Be Better to Remove Fat in my Stomach - Post TT? (photo)

I had my TT on 3/16/12. As you can see from my before pic, I had alot of stomach fat and saggy skin. I talked to several PS's and two of my favorite's said I didn't need Lipo since I had nice curves and was thinner on the sides. Now that I am almost 4 mos Post Op, I think maybe I should have had some Lipo. My current PS said after 6 mos, she could do some. I think she mentioned Smart Lipo. Would that be best in my situation? I think I may be swollen still but I can't tell if its that or not.

Liposuction after Tummy Tuck-Smartlipo or Regular

+2

Thank you for your question and photos. You have an excellent result and look very nice!

After 6 months Liposuction can be done to remove any residual fat that is bothering you.

Either traditional Liposuction or Laser Assisted Liposuction such as Smartlipo or SlimLipo will work well.

Personally I use SlimLipo because I feel there is better skin tightening with the laser. This is very controversial.

I would recommend that you follow the advice of your doctor. The surgeon is most important and his skills outweigh any potential advantage of one type of equipment or another

Type of lipo after tummy tuck

+2

You should wait at least 6 months to allow all the swelling to resolve from the tummy tuck.  I do not believe that there is significant advantage of smart lipo over traditional tumescent liposuction in the final result as long as the skin quality is good.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon. 

Donald Nunn, MD

Additional Liposuction After Tummy Tuck

+2

As most other surgeons suggest, wait at least 6 months after your tummy tuck to allow swelling to resolve before considering liposuction. The type of liposuction is not likely to matter as much as the skill of the surgeon and quality of your skin. It seems like your current surgeon did a nice job but it is hard to offer any evidence that Smart Lipo would be better in your case.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Lipo touch-up after tummy tuck can help

+2

Sometimes it is not possible to remove as much fat as one would like with a tummy tuck without taking risks, so a touch-up after 6 months or so can help. It won't matter if it is smart lipo, slim lipo, cool lipo, tickle lipo, traditional lipo, you name it. There are some other things to keep in mind though: Occasionally there can be what is called "compensatory" weight gain inside the abdomen after fat removal in the layer under the skin, as is done with lipo or tummy tuck. The good news is that this internal fat responds to diet and exercise.

Richard Baxter, MD

Depends on what the PS is comfortable with

+2

Smart lipo is essentially the same as traditional lipo except that it adds a laser which is first used to melt the fat and make it easier to suction.  It also creates a controlled burn underneath the skin to theoretically tighten the skin as well.

In the end, your results are more dependent on what your plastic surgeon can accomplish for you.  I have many colleagues who swear that they get just as good results with traditional liposuction.  So I would have a discussion with your surgeon on the pros and cons of each and get a sense what she or he would give you the best results.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Do you need liposuction after a tummy tuck?

+2

Patients often ask if they need additional lipo after they had a tummy tuck because their lower abdomen is not perfectly flat.  Very often, however, this shape is not because of the superficial fat, but because of the intra-abdominal volume.  You may not have had a lot of muscle tightening to flatten the abdomen or you may simply still have a lot of intra-abdominal volume which cannot be liposuctioned, which you can loose only with weight loss.  If after a tummy tuck you don't have enough fat that you can pinch, or if you push your fingers into your belly and they don't go in very deep, you likely have very little fat that can be liposuctioned.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD

My Belly Button Looks Too Flat After TT and MR?

+2

The posted photos show a very good result. As for additional liposuction I would wait the 6 months than I personally would recommend Smart Lipo Triplex + lipo of the abdomen & waist. I disagree with my esteemed colleague As Smart Lipo Triplex offers a better tightening result in the hands of a very experience Smart Lipo doctor because the learning curve is VERY high for its use. Best of luck. 

Lipo after 6 months is OK

+2

I agree with your plastic surgeon that lipo after 6 months should be fine.  By then all your excess fluid retention (swelling) should be resolved and you will get a better result.  Whether you use smart lipo or ultrasonic lipo or any other type of lipo it doesn't matter.  It's all in the hands of the surgeon.  I am not a big fan of laser lipo (i.e. smart lipo) as I feel it creates too much internal scarring and carries a higher risk of complications.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo verses Traditional Lipo

+1

I am of the opinion that smart lipo does not offer any advantage over traditional liposuction.  The skill in a great result depends on the surgeon and not his/her liposuction tools.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS