Traction Alopecia. Recovered 65% But Still Have Wide Part Lines? (photo)

I wore clip on hair ext for 5 yrs, gave them up 1 1/2 years ago after discovering traction alopecia. My hair has recovered approx 65% but I still have 11 wide part lines where I clipped them in daily. I saw 2 Derms 1 1/2 years ago that said I have no scarring and rec'd Rogaine, Biosil, Biotin, protein, daily sclp massage. I was afraid of Rogaine 'shed' but did the rest and saw major improvement. But 11 wide parts remain. At this point, will I see any more regrowth? Is Rogaine still an option?

Treating Traction Alopecia

+1

Although traction alopecia usually can recover there are instances where it is permanent. Typically if the hair has not recovered in 6-9 months it is very unlikely to return.  Rogaine or other products can only stimulate hair if the follicles are still present.  However, if there is permanent damage the only solution is a hair transplant.

Treatment for Traction Alopecia

+1

If there is no permanent scarring damage with traction alopecia, the hair should grow back, especially with the aid of Rogaine and other such medications. However, at one and a half years of medication use, it is unlikely that the hair will fill in anymore. If the remaining hair loss bothers you enough, I recommend looking into hair transplant.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Loss Treatment

+1

Topical medications are a great starting point to temporize hair loss.  At this point, if you are still concerned with the hair loss it seems time to consider other options.  You may be a candidate for a transplant which could give you better and more long lasting coverage.  Find a doctor with whom you connect and sit down for an evaluation. Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Traction Alopecia

+1

Oftentimes, medical management of alopecia will take you so far, then it is up to you if you want to try something more.  By something more, I am referring to hair transplantation surgery.  For many, the success you have achieved will be enough.  For others, surgery will make them happier.  For you to be informed of all of your options, your next step will be to make an appointment for an in-person consultation with an experienced hair restoration surgeon.  At that time, you can see and hear what surgical options, if any, are available to you.  Best of luck to you. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Traction alopecia with permanent hair loss.

+1

Traction alopecia with permanent hair loss is common. If it has been 6 months without regrowth your only choices are extensions, hair transplants or excision of any wide areas. I usually excise these as the cost is cheaper for the patient. I have not seen Rogaine to be of any value.