How Many Cc's Do I Need to Be a C-cup? (photo)

I am 12 weeks post-op and got fitted last evening for a bra and found out that my cup size has not change. Prior to surgery I was a 36B, six week post-op I was between a 38C/D and now at twelve weeks, I went down to a 38B. I told my PS that I wanted a conservative look ( nothing fake/porn breast) but wanted to be a cup size bigger. Needless to say I am upset and unhappy for such a subtle change. I'm 5'9 and weight 150. I chose 300 High Profile Mentor Silicone, placed under the muscle.

How Many Cc's Do I Need to Be a C-cup

+2

There are no fixed standards for cup size.  Many of my patients have B's C's and D's in their bra drawer all (or occasionally none) of which fit. 

A B cup on a 36 inch band is larger than a B cup on a 34 inch band, and smaller than a B cup on a 38 inch band. I cannot imagine why your measurement went from 36 to 38. That measurement is based upon the diameter of the chest at the level of the breast fold, and that should not have changed with implants. 

The sizing discrepancy may well be due to that. The B cup on the 38 is larger than the B cup on the 36. It can be a full cup size or more.

Usually a 200 cc implant will give a one cup size increase. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Cup Size After #BreastAugmentation

+1

From your photos, it appears that you are in the range of a C cup. And for reference, a 38B is the same as a 36C so that you likely are in the range you requested. You should not judge your surgical results by the size of your bra, rather how you look in the mirror and if that was your ultimate goal. Bra sizing is no where near an exact or consistent science. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

How Many Cc's Do I Need to Be a C-cup?

+1

I always recommend one or two sizes higher than your chosen. So 325 or 350 cc high profile would be my recommendation to answer your question very directly. 

Augment and sizing

+1

A 38B is equivalent to a 36C.  A 300 cc augment should increase you by at least a cup size.  Having been swollen, you became accustomed to a larger look than you requested preoperatively.  If you remain unhappy, three months down the road, you could consider a reaugment with larger implants but I would encourage you to take a look at your preop photos being jumping to conclusions.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Value the result of your breast augmentation and lift, not the label in the bra

+1

Thanks for your photo-- it makes answering your question easier.  Tough to be real accurate without a pre op picture, but if you listen to the way you describe what your goal was and then look at the result you have, I think you received an excellent result. You have a natural shape, good scars from the lift, great nipple position, and volume appropriate for your frame.  Lift / augmentation operations are conceptually difficult (smaller on the outside skin and bigger on the inside with the implant).  You could have had, and someday may choose to have, bigger implants. I agree with the comment that you have to think about that a 38 B is about the same cup volumen as a 36 C.  I am sorry for your sadness, but give it another4-6 weeks and be sure and review your pre and postop pictures with your surgeon.

Brent A. Buchele, MD, MBA
Kalispell Plastic Surgeon

Increase a cup size

+1

Usually an increase in cup size requires about 200 cc's extrea in volume sometimes a bit more and sometiems a bit less.

Post op cup size

+1

I agree that you appear to have gotten what you asked for. In addition you have had a lift and placing larger implants limits the amount of lifting that can be done. In general 200cc will produce one cup increase.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Don't Fixate On Cup Sizes

+1

First of all, I think you have a very nice result not having seen pre-op photos.  There is no universal cup size.  You mentioned that you were a 36B prior to surgery and now wearing a 38B.  Why the change in chest size?  A 38B cup is the same cup size as a 36C, so it sounds as if your surgeon achieved the size requested.

John Whitt, MD

Achieving a C-cup size with implants

+1

It seems remarkable that you could have a lift and a 300 cc implant and be the same size you were from the start. Still, if the result does not meet expectations a fuller implant will be needed. Communication is the key to understanding the 'look' that is right for you as cup size, and the number on the imlpant can be misleading as too can be terms such as conservative. Better to show your surgeon the result you feel is your goal.

Predicting Post Operative Cup Size

+1

Sorry to hear about your displeasure on the outcome of the procedure. Predicting breast size in the post operative period can be challenging. If one notices, there is variation in the cup size not only between manufacturers but also within the same manufacturer and same style of bra.

In my practice my patients are asked to bring in pictures which represent the breasts "they want". With the aid of these pictures and a discussion of their goals we can best arrive at the solution needed. While the 300 cc implant would have increased your cup size, the mastopexy (lift) will typically reduce your cup size.

In order to be larger, you will obviously need a larger implant. At this point I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and communicate your concerns. If you choose to undergo revision I suggest to wait a minimum of 6 months after your surgery. This will give enough time  for the majority of the post operative swelling and scarring to subside.

Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD