Out of Town Facelift & Recovery

Hello, I am interested in traveling out of town for facial surgery and returning home 2 weeks later. Are there surgery and recovery centers in the States. I live on the east coast. Thank you.

Out of Town Facelift

+2

For my out of town or international facelift patients, I recommend that they stay overnight at one of the various recovery centers/retreats where there are nurses present to assist them postoperatively.  Many facilities will also assist with transportation from the surgery center to the recovery retreat and back to my office the following morning.  This gives both the patient and the surgeon peace of mind knowing that you will be cared for.  If you are planning an out of town procedure, please choose a skilled surgeon and have a phone or virtual consultation in advance to discuss your goals.  Plan to arrive in town a couple of days before the procedure to meet with the surgeon in person and discuss the surgical plan and any last minute details.  You should plan to stay in town for about 1 week after the procedure.

Out of town facelift surgery

+2

Many people choose to have their surgery out of town. This is usually because they know of someone who had a great result and are willing to travel to that surgeon. When traveling out of town I think there are several things to think of in order to have a successful result and good experience. First of course, make sure that your surgeon is Board Certified and has hospital privledges. The surgical facility should be either a hospital or a fully accredited facility. While these seem "obvious" it is surprising how many people will overlook these basic safety steps. You should be able to meet with the surgeon well ahead of time, preferably during a separate trip if possible. If not, good communication through the internet is mandatory. You need to "get to know" your surgeon and understand his/her recommendations before you go "under the knife". Find out what kind of aftercare facility is available. Will you stay in a hospital, hotel or with a friend or relative? Usually I recommend staying in town for about 10-14 days just to be sure that your healing is going well. How available will your surgeon be once you leave town? Can you communicate by email, send photos to check your progress ....? Surgery performed out of town can certainly get you the results you want but being prepared will help insure that the whole experience will go well.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Out of town facelift

+2

Because I practice in Florida, I often have  folks choose to have a facelift done during their vacation time.  Your question is a good one.  I usually like my patients to remain in town for about two weeks after the procedure.  They recover in the comfort of a hotel or time share and by the time they return home they are well on their way to recovery. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Out of town Facelift

+1

Out of town facelift surgery provides the patient a chance to have some anonymity for a few days and recover in privacy. However, complete healing will take weeks and even months before the results look really good. I usually incorporate fat grafting and laser resurfacing for patients who need these procedures, and this does add a little extra time. For most patients, sutures and clips in the hairline are removed in a week, and patients can usually return home and have either skype or photo follow up at one month and three months. Many of our facelift patients will spend a couple of nights in our boutique hospital where all of their needs are managed by RN's and we can check on you as much as needed. We then have a small hotel where patients can spend the remaining time recovering.

Once you are home, patients are usually driving and running errands at about 10 days to two weeks.

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Out of town patients

+1

Travelling for plastic surgery is becoming more and more common today.  There are a few considerations:

• Have a friend or family member accompany you
  • If possible stay at a location close to your surgeon’s clinic
  • Be flexible in your return date since things may come up that require you to have additional visits with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Facelift - Out of Town Facelift & Recovery

+1

Two weeks should work, assuming everything goes as expected.  Most surgeons work with hotels or "recovery" centers near their offices, so once you've decided which surgeons you want to consider, ask them for recommendations.  In general, drains and sutures are out by about ten days after surgery, but in the event that you have additional questions it will he helpful - for you, primarily - staying around for a few more days could be a good idea.  And, of course, you may want to have a backup plan in case you need to stay even longer, however unlikely.  The Plastic Surgery Bottom Line - two weeks should be okay, but you should clear that - and everything else regarding your surgery - with your own PS.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Traveling for Plastic Surgery

+1

My practice is in Tampa and I have been fortunate in having many patients travel to my practice  for  cosmetic surgery.  The time to be away from home may be two weeks or so.  Bruising may still exist, but the healing has already started and most patients are comfortable during their return home.  Local hotels and skilled professionals are always available to assist you in your quiet recovery.  Many of my patients travel routinely from other states  as well as from surrounding countries to  visit our practice.  During this last month I had  patients from  Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, Colorado, Alaska travel to Tampa, as well as several patients from Canada.  I always consider it a privilege to have patients  trust us with their desire for cosmetic surgery.

Online preliminary consulatation is a first step.  Arrangements can always be made thereafter for suitable patients to visit with us.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Out if town facelift

+1
Having a facelift performed away from home is not at all uncommon. I often have patients who fly to San Diego to perform their facelifts. Many times they will come here either because they have a vacation home or have friend or family who can take care of them. A two week recovery time should be plenty of time for you to be completely healed and return home. if you are planning to do this, be sure to contact the plastic surgeon's office to receive their advice regarding after care accomoations which they may be able to arrange for you. I look forward to meeting you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Plastic Surgery for Patients Visiting from Out of Town

+1

Be sure to plan to stay in town for at least 8 days,though 14 days is ideal.  Please understand that in rare events. patients need to stay around longer. 

Also make sure that you have a surgeon who is readily available to answer your concerns via phone or email once you head home.  We take great pride in maintaining strong relationship with our patients who have returned home. It is so important that you can count on your surgeon to help answer questions as they arise over the process of healing.

Best wishes, Dr. Suzman

Michael Suzman, MD

Out of town Facelift

+1

This is something many of do all the time. After the first several days, you will need little in the way of recovery help, but you should have someone with you to help with litle things and transportation. Most of my patients are back to most normal activities except exercise and driving by 3-5 days. Make sure you discuss the expectations of the surgeon you choose before traveling. I would also suggest that you pick someone relatively close to where you live or frequently visit so you can return easily in the slim chance that you have problems.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon