Tough Implants, Not Hard or Soft

I received a BA 7 months ago with moderate 370 cc's submuscular. My gynecologist and internist think it is an amazing job. I wish they projected more, but that is just me. My question is when I sit up they are soft but when I lay on my back, they feel tough, almost like a raw chicken breast. I also must tell you I have been told this is taking a longer time for me to recover than typical. Will they still soften up? Or does this just happen sometimes? Thanks

Implant feel post-op

+1

A lot of factors can affect how your implants feel: gel, saline, textured, smooth, size, your skin and tissue, etc etc etc. When you lie down, you may be feeling the muscle more which would be expected to feel like a chicken breast (which is also muscle). But you should talk with your surgeon about your concerns as he or she is best able to evaluate your situation.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant feel after seven months

+1

After seven months your breast tissue and implants will have worked in or 'settled' and the texture or softness will depend on the degree of tightness in the capsule, and the type of implant that you have. A tough feeling can be caused by a highly cohesive gel implant, a high profile implant, or an over filled saline implant. I think you can feel the implant better when you are on your back as the breast tissue will spread or thin out on the chest, just like the old recommendation of breast self exam supine or with our are overhead to flatten the breast on the chest.

peterejohnsonmd

Tough Implants, Not Hard or Soft

+1

After 7 months you should not see a change in the feel of your implants.  However, the development of capsular contractures can be seen.  If this is the case Ultrasound therapy may be able to change the manner in which they feel.  Because the change in sensation is positional there is a possibility that is due to the implants being displaced into the axillary area.  I would see your surgeon to discuss your findings.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Tough Implants, Not Hard or Soft

+1

Sounds like a very normal occurrence. Best to discuss with your chosen surgeon so you can demonstrate this "chicken breast" effect you are describing. Maybe the implants are falling laterally when you are supine? 

Breast Implant "feel" 7 months post-op.

+1

You are far enough from surgery for your swelling and scar tissue to have settled and softened maximally, so you can expect only very subtle additional changes in how your breasts feel with additional passage of time. What CAN change, however, is your perception of your breasts, as well as additional skin sensory changes which can continue to improve for up to a year or so. But, how your breasts feel when upright and when reclining is likely to change little.

That being said, most patients feel their breasts are softer when reclining, since the chest muscles beneath which your implants are placed relax more thoroughly than when you are upright. However, gravity does not pull the breasts down as happens when you are upright. And when you bend over, the weight of your breasts pull them away from your chest, making rippling or implant edges more likely to be seen or felt (particularly with saline implants, rarely with silicone gel implants). So position does have an impact on how your breasts move, feel, and look.

Aside from being aware of your implants in different positions, you sound as if you have a great result (listen to your gynecologist and internist) and may be over-analyzing! Remember each and every one of us is our own worst critic--anyone else looking from the outside in sees only the attractive you that is a result of your new shape! Cheers!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implant feel following breast augmentation

+1

You did not mention whether the implants are saline or silicone, and whether the surface is smooth or textured.  Implants (unless they are "gummy bear" or over-filled saline) can change their shape with changes in your position.  In any case, if the implants feel soft when you are sitting and firm when you lie down, the difference in feel is most likely related to the shape / size of the implant pocket (capsule) or forces exerted on the implant by your pectoralis muscle when you lie down.  Most patients have achieved their final result by 7 months post-op.  You should arrange to follow-up with your plastic surgeon, who should be able to clarify what additional changes, if any, you can expect.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You should continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and maintain your doctor patient relationship.

Craig S. Rock, MD