Touching Your Nose After Rhino Okay?

hello i am about 14 weeks post op rhino and was wondering if it is ok to touch your nose at this point? i usually touch my nose gently but hardly ever push down on it..... also i am aware of some residual bone that would need some rasping down as i was told by my ps however i noticed another little bump could it be that my swelling has gone down to where that 2nd other bump just out of nowhere started to show? or could it be scar tissue... thanks much and i appreciate the answers

Touching The Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

At about 4 months post-op, your nose should not be as fragile as it was during the first week after your rhinoplasty.

With that perspective, it is fine to touch your nose but still gently.

At this point, it is not possible to differentiate between swelling or scar tissue formation as the main reason causing the nasal irregularities you have mentioned in your post; it is only through physical examination that such a differentiation is made.

I encourage you to be a little more patient and to let nature take its course; the end results take about 12 months to get established.

I recommend that you follow your surgeon's instruction religiously and to protect your nose from any possible nasal trauma.

Thank you for your post.

The best of wishes to you. 

Dr. Sajjadian

Rhinoplasty

+1

Touching your nose 14 weeks after surgery will not cause any problems, assuming you are gentle with  it , otherwise it could cause some swelling.  As far as the other changes you have noticed, they are not at all unusual during the several months after surgery.  For the most part they will resolve on their own with time.  This is why most surgeons advise waiting a year before undergoing a revision.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Touching the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

After 14 weeks, it is ok to lightly touch your nose. At this point, the nasal bones have fully healed and there are no restrictions except for participation in any contact sport where there is a risk of hitting the nose.  It is difficult to give you advice regarding the presence of the other bump without examining you.  Sometimes, swelling can mask a slight deformity, but it really depends.  Any revisions are generally not performed until around one year following your initial surgery, unless there is no tip work involved.  In this case, a revision may be performed sooner. Thanks, and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Touching Nose 3 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Gently touching your nose will not cause any problems 3 months after your rhinoplasty. Small irregularities may be felt after surgery as the nose heals. Your surgeon is aware of the little bump and will take care of this.

Don't touch your nose after surgery.

+1

I'm not saying it's dangerous but you will feel little lumps and bumps and it will make you crazy. After a nose is done it feels irregular. That is normal . Don't upset yourself don't touch it

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Touch the Nose

+1

Please remember to wash your hands before & after all nasal contact.  Any defects noticed after 6 months can then be addressed.  Your nose will change throughout the healing process.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty works.

+1

Hi.

After three months, you are not going to do any harm to your nose by touching it.  The imperfections you notice will have to be revised.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Touching is ok

+1

At this point it is safe to touch your nose. I would not rub it vigorously and avoid any impact of any significant force.  If contour imperfections develop after surgery, they usually do not become evident until the swelling of the skin covering recedes enough to reveal them.  So the bigger ones are seen earlier and the smaller ones can show up later.  That's why we wait at least a year before revision--so that we have a good lay of the land after most of the swelling has gone down.  I doubt it is scar tissue if it hard and very localized.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon