Will Touching my Nose Affect the Results a Few Days After Rhinoplasty?

I had an open reduction nasal fracture surgery to reduce the bump on my nasal bridge. My nose looks all chunky right now hopefully due to swelling. I pushed my nose in a few times to see if it was hard or soft. And also, During sleep i scratched it and accidentally hit it against the pillow. Will this affect my results at all?

Touching nose after rhinoplasty.

+2

You have probably not done anything harmful to your nose, but keep your hands off it except to wash it.

Touching or manipulating or pressing your nose soon after nose job could effect the outcome

+2

Yes, it could effect your surgery and the appearance of your nosebut it is nearly impossible to tell at this point.

Touching the Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Feeling and bumping your nose immediately after surgery can only cause problems. With all due respect, you sound like a disaster waiting to happen. Ask your surgeon for a facial shield like professional athletes wear when they are competing after nasal trauma.

Touching the Nose a Few Days After Rhinoplasty....Hands Off!

+1

Hi Manny,

You sound like George of the Jungle...watch out for that tree!  You need to speak with your surgeon.  The less you traumatize your nose immediately after open reduction of nasal fracture, the better your result.  Perhaps your surgeon can fashion a protective splint for you until your nose stops acting as a trauma magnet.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Touching the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

In general, it is best to avoid touching or pushing on your nose for the first few days after surgery. You may not have done anything to affect the final results, but any additional injury would only cause more swelling and may be detrimental.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Rhinoplasty and nasal hump reduction

+1

Yes, do not manipulate your surgery.  Leave it alone short of having to was your face gently.  Pushing on the nose is not a good idea as you can shift things.

No way to tell at this point, you just have to be patient and wait and see.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD