Touch-up Abdomen Liposuction

Had lipo on my abs Dec '10. I need touchup because i have an oval of fat in the middle. I hate my abs now. My doc was surprised how much fat he removed (2000cc from ab,back,leg) because I have a very small frame. My concern is that he isn't going to take enough out to make a difference- he's very conservative. He's also concerned I will form dimples on the abs. I have to pay $1500 for op room and anastesia. Do you think i am going to see the results needed, dimples, should i go to another doc?

It is always best to go back to your original doc to do your touch up liposuction.

+2

It is always proper to allow your original doc to do your touch up liposuction and there are always additional costs involved which hopefully was spelled out to you at your initial consultation.  If you go elsewhere then you will probably have to spend at least $5000 for the abdomen. Be sure to get the procedure done under local anesthesia and use the micro canulas so you can get the very best results in my opinion.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Secondary liposuction

+1

Your doctor appears to have given you good advice.  There is a limit to how much local anesthetic that can be given at one time and with the three areas peformed at the same time, you might have needed more anesthetic to complete the job.  Your surgeon should be conservative as over aggressive liposuction can leave you with diffiicult-to-correct depressions and scarring.  If you return to your same surgeon for a secondary procedure, there rightfully is a facility fee and they will be conservative but focus their effort on the abdomen only, from what you say, and be able to sculpt a better result by removing residual fat.  Altlhough I can't determine your status without an examination, the photograph appears to demonstrate residual fat. It will be less costly for you to have the secondary procedure with your doc. If however there still is not enough fat removed with a second procedure, after six months you could certainly choose to see a second opinion at that time.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Touch up liposuction

+1

You have to compare your results with how you were before surgery. Touch up liposuction is not uncommon, but it has to  applied safely so you do not get unintended results, such as dimpling. You need to have that discussion with your doctor and so far I think he did the right thing. Correcting a liposuction complication is very difficult and expensive. I have seen dimpling, scarring and skin color changes from aggressive liposuction. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Concerns about secondary liposuction

+1

Choosing to be on the side of caution is most prudent and that is what your doctor did. You could always take more fat out whereas replacing fat when too much was removed is a much more unpredictable and difficult problem with a guarded outcome.

For a secondary procedure, you will see the least costs by returning to your original doctor. From the photos (though an exam would be most accurate), it appears that you still have some substantial fat deposition present. Even so, you will still be at an increased risk for contour irregularities and rippling. Also, liposuction will not address the protrusion of your abdomen.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Touch-up Abdomen Liposuction

+1

Dear Ashley,

I agree that it is always wise to allow your original surgeon to perform any "revisions" from prior procedures; I also agree that "less is more" is a great phylosophy as to liposuction.   Taking more is always easier than repairing indentations or dimpling from aggressive liposuction.   Remember that once you have had liposuction in the areas that are most commonly affeted by weight gain if you gain weight again it will in areas that you did not gain weight in before.  Maybe you gained a little weight and it is now showing in your midabominal region. 

The charge for the extra liposuction appears within normal.  Revision fees seem to range around that area and in our institution are charged to cover the fee of the anesthesiologist, medications and use of the day op center.

Good luck.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Touch-up liposuction not uncommon

+1
It seems like you have had an ok result so far. Being "conservative" can be better than overly aggressive which can result in uncorrectble dimples and dents. Each surgeon has their own policy for financing revision surgery. If you have a good rapport with your surgeon you should discuss your concerns openly and proceed with revision with him/her. Have you been able to lose any weight associated with your liposuction? The happiest patients and best results are when there has been some weight loss which leads to very pleasing outcomes.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1

With liposuction - less is more.  That said, I think the issue may also depend on what your expectations were.

It may be hard to eradicate the "bulge" without consideration of a tummy tuck.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Heading for trouble from overdone liposuction

+1

I could show you numerous photos of the permanent damage that comes from overdone liposuction in patients who have come to me for second opinions.  The patient frequently wants the surgeon to "take it all" but the wise and safe surgeon knows they need to leave a layer of fat under the skin to minimize the risks of dents and grooves.  Your doctor did right by you and it is reasonable to have to pay to have more liposuction as this is not a revision for something that went wrong.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS