Total FX Vs. TCA Chemical Peel for Lines Under Eyes?

I am 42 and have some crepiness / lines beneath the eyes. Two different doctors have promoted their solution - Total FX vs TCA 35%. Which will have a the best, longest lasting results?

Total FX

+1

Total FX is superior for fine wrinkles and pigmentation problems around the eyes.

You may need more than one total FX to achieve the results. Total Fx will stimulate new collagen and elastic fibers in the skin. Tca will do that also but requires multiple TCA peels

CO2 laser will give the best results

+1

I agree with Dr Lupo, an ablative laser, such as the Lumenis TotalFX will give more skin tightening secondary to the heat it delivers to the skin. I would add that Botox might also be helpful, at least with the lateral wrinkles caused by the muscle action around the eyes. Hope this helps.

Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

My opinion: Total FX

+1

My opinion is based on 26 years of doing peels and 15 years using resurfacing lasers. Both modalities help discoloration and fine lines, but the thermal component of the laser results in greater stimulation of collagen and therefore, better results.

Web reference: http://www.drmarylupo.com

New Orleans Dermatologist

Both Total FX and TCA help diminish wrinkles under the eyes

+1

Both Total FX and TCA (in a different combination) can help to diminish and improve wrinkles and crepiness under the eyes, depending upon the amount of energy delivered (laser) and the combination and strength (TCA) used.

Total FX is one form of fractionated ablative CO2 laser. It works very well to tighten collagen and improve fine lines and wrinkles of the face. The results will not be immediate, but rather will improve over several months after a single session, depending on the amount of energy used and your physician's settings. The downtime will be about 7-10 days of peeling and a few weeks of redness.

Chemical peeling can also work very well to diminish fine lines and wrinkles, but you need a peel that will get deep enough to do this. 35% TCA alone will not penetrate deeply enough (it is considered a light peel), and higher strengths than this should not be used alone since they peel unpredictably and can cause scarring. Rather, use a medium depth combination peel, such as Jessner's peel followed by 35% TCA. Again, peeling will be for 7-10 days, followed by a few weeks of redness, followed by improvment in fine lines and wrinkles.

Either will work. Decide which physician you trust more (and who has more experience) and go with that one (as long as it's a combination peel and not just TCA).

Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon