Can a Total Block Be Used for the Area Between the Nose and the Upper Lip when Injecting Restylane?

Nerve blocks for Restylane

+2

I inject about 1-1.5ml of Lidocaine just above the canine teeth in the junction of the lip and gums on each side. This gets the nerves that supply the upper lip on both sides and when done gently is very tolerable to receive.  With this in place, Restylane injection to the lips is nearly pain free.  A similar style injection can be done for the lower lip as well.

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Nerve Blocks Highly Effective For Restylane Comfort

+2

Nerve blocks are highly effective at numbing the upper lip, smile lines, lower eyelids, and front portion of the cheek.  There is a single nerve on each side that when properly treated results in nearly complete numbness of this entire area.  Treating the nerve does require a shot, however this shot is minimally painful and it renders all of the future and much more numerous shots essentially painless. 

I always offer this to my patients at no additional charge because I feel it is a necessary part of the procedure for optimal outcome.  When a patient is numb, they are obviously not in pain and thus they hold still which allows for more precise injection. 

As I do it, the numbness takes affect almost instantly and lasts about 30 minutes.  It is vastly more affective than topical creams and doesn't waste the patient's time sitting around waiting for it to "take affect". 

The block is invaluable when treating the upper lip since the upper lip is otherwise a very painful area to inject.  With the nerve block, it is either completely painless or nearly painless.  The same is true of filling tear-trough area.  While the tear-trough area is not that sensitive, it is important that patients hold very still and keep their eyes open without scrunching when injecting here.  Patients have no problem doing that after a block since they almost feel nothing.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and numbing

+1

Yes, you can have that area treated with a "block," provided the injector is experienced and knows exactly the procedure. Restylane contains lidocaine, and is normally very tolerable with some topical numbing cream and icing prior to injections.

Sam Naficy, MD

+1

Yes, it's a dental type block of the infra-orbital nerve.  Injecting Restylane in the nasolabial folds is typically very well tolerated since it contains lidocaine.

Nerve block for Restylane

+1

The simple answer is yes - a nerve block can be performed quite easily to numb the entire upper lip for pain-free Restylane injections.  I use a topical anesthetic agent first inside the mouth near the gums and then a series of small intra-oral injections for complete block.  This block is usually quite profound and allows lip injections to be performed with little to no discomfort at all.  Good luck!

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Nerve blocks are unnecessary and often result in problems that last for weeks after!

+1

While the dogma initially was that nerve blocks were necessary, fillers have evolved and now have lidocaine in them, which makes them significantly less painful.  Also, topical anesthetics are even better and one that we use that we specially formulate, is a great one that essentially numbs the area in advance.

The other problem with blocks that is a game changer is that they change the way your mouth looks (look in a mirror after you go to the dentist and you will see!), so you don't look like you would and that means the filler isn't always put in the right places.  This is why I particularly dislike any blocks prior to filler. 

If you go to a surgeon who is good and does a lot of these, you should do just fine and be happier altogether.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Nerve Blocks for fillers

+1

Nerve blocks are easy to do and provide very effective anesthesia.  I use nerve blocks primarily when treating the lips, which are very sensitive.  For treatment of other areas, most of my patients do not require a nerve block and prefer not to do a nerve block.  Nerve block results in prolonged anesthesia in the treated area which can be annoying, like after you go to the dentist.  We use a very effective topical numbing cream beforehand and we also add lidocaine (numbing medicine) to the filler itself.  This provides sufficient numbing for most of my filler patients.  Injection technique is also very important.  Using small needles, blunt cannulas, and slow injection technique all help to minimize discomfort during filler injection.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Blocks have not been necessary with the lidocaine containing fillers.

+1

Prior to switching over to Restylane and Perlane with lidocaine, for perioral treatment, an intramural ring block was very helpful for patient comfort.  However, with the local anesthetic that is mixed in the hyaluronic acid fillers, these block, which are also uncomfortable, are no longer needed.

Nerve blocks for injecting lips with Restylane

+1

In my opinion, nothing compares to a technique for numbing the upper lip that is known as a "dental block". The initial injections are done using an intra-oral technique. After swabbing an area on the mucous membranes inside the lip with a numbing solution used by dentists (called a Caine Tip), a local anesthetic (lidocaine) is injected at several points to completely block the nerve sensory fibers from reaching the lip. It is quick and relatively simple to do, quite reliable, and results in almost painless injection treatments for lip enhancement.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon