What Type of Lip Enhancing Procedure is Best for Me? (photo)

I'm not satisfied with the way my upper lip appears. The cupids bow area needs to be heightened, & the left/right sides of my lips are very thin. I would like them to appear a lot fuller (3rd photo). One side of my lip is much thinner than the other side, & when I smile (teeth showing), I barely have any top lip at all. It makes my smile look odd, & only the skin around the corners of my lip end up showing instead. What kind of lip procedure would be best suited for me?

Lips thin with smiling.

+2

Lips thin with smiling happens to most people. The fullness and attractiveness of your lips in repose is good--LEAVE THEM ALONE1

Lip Enhancement

+1

You have one major problem with your lips. Your description of your lips is different than what the photos show. Your cupid's bow area is nicely developed and the fullness extends to the commissure. The other problem is in the middle photo which seems to show that you have braces on your teeth. If so, then all evaluations are worthless as orthodontics changes your lip posture. Wait until the braces are off.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic Acid fillers Work Well For Lip Rejuvenation, Lip Enhancement, Cupid's Bow and Philtral Columns

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Juvederm Ultra XC (good for smoothing areas) and Restylane L (for plumping), are my favorites for lip enhancement procedures. These include plumping the body of lips (the red lips), adding definition to the vermilion border of the lips (white roll), shaping the Cupid's bow and elevating the philtral columns-- the vertical ridges leading up from the tips of the Cupid's bow up top the base of the nose. 

Nothing can substitute for an up front and personal consultation to determine what is best for any individual patient. One trick for getting an idea is to inject salt solution or anesthetic solution to potential treatment areas. This can give a rough idea of the result when using the actual fillers themselves. The effects last only a few minutes, but this is generally sufficient time to get an idea how the actual result might appear. 

The result of treating lips with these fillers can be quite gratifying when performed in experienced hands.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Lip enhancement with fillers

+1

Best to have your lips examined in person by an expert in beauty, such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. A filler such as Juvederm or Restylane may be a nice option for you to start with to improve your lips with minimal risk of side effects.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Bigger lips

+1

Dear Toronto,

• You do have really nice lips and a lip enhancement will thicken the upper lip
  • The upper lip will always thin a little with smiling
  • The effects with Juvederm are temporary (6 months) so it might be a fun thing to try out
  • If you hate it, there is always an antidote, but I have never had to dissolve Juvederm in someone's lips

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Lip Injections

+1

As stated above, your lips look beautiful and normal. It is normal to have thinning of your upper lip with smilling and animation as well as age.  It might be appropriate for you to visit with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to evaluate your lips and determine if lip injections are appropriate and safe for you.  Young patients like yourself tend to do well with SUBTLE AND SMALL amount of injection to the upper and lower lip with a hyaluronic acid. I recommend Restylane. Good luck and enjoy.

Sean Doherty, MD

Sean T. Doherty, MD, FACS