Possible Seroma and Swelling 8 Weeks Post Op? (photo)

surgery was done 8 weeks ago in a tourist hospital in Havana, cuba. The removed my drains the second day. I wore my compretion garmet for 4 weeks and have not put it on since. The swelling is still there, I feel evenings but I am concerned with seroma as well. maybe from drains not being removed to soon? I will show a picture.

Possible Seroma and Swelling 8 Weeks Post Op?

+1

Yes appears as seroma but only IN PERSON examination will determine if you have one. Be prepared to pay for the examination and possible drainage in the $1,000 range. Good Luck. But this shows how out of country surgery can end up costing you MORE time and $$'s 

+1

There is no substitute for seeing you in person. However, your photos do not suggest strongly that you have a seroma. I agree with one of my colleagues who stated that travelling far from home for surgery deprives you of the close postoperative followup that is a critical part of surgery. Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Seroma or Not

+1

Thank you for your photos.  The only way one can tell if a seroma is present would be by physical exam.  Your drains were definitely removed too soon.  Secondly, medical tourism is difficult for patients especially when complications occur.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Possible seroma after an abdominoplasty

+1

Your swelling does not appear to be too bad and not unexpected for 8 weeks.  If you have a water baggy feeling when you turn from side to side this is a seroma and may need to be drained.  

Differentiating a seroma from swelling after abdominoplasty can be tricky.

+1

Small seromas may sometimes be difficult to distinguish from swelling within the tissues. The photograph doesn't demonstrate anything alarming so I think I would continue with the scheduled visits to your surgeon.

Seroma post op?

+1

From looking at the photographs provided you appear to have a flat tummy and the profile is not bulging.  It is hard to see if you have a seroma from just photographs and you really need to be examined.  You should see a surgeon if you are concerned about a seroma and possibly even have an ultrasound to confirm its presence. 

Drain removal is quite variable from case to case and early drain removal is not uncommon if there is no drainage.  If you have a small seroma your body will slowly resobe it over a period of time.  You are also quite early in the post operative course and i think you will find things will settle further and improve with more time.

Regards

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

+1

I can't say that I see anything abnormal in the photos, but if you suspect a seroma, only an in person exam can prove or disprove its presence. All the best.