I'm interested in both Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty. Would both surgeries done at the same time? (photos)

I have seen a doctor about my breathing issue and have a deviated septum. One doctor mentioned that doing a procedure to fix my problems would widen the bridge of my nose which I dont want. I am unhappy with the curvature of my nose from a profile perspective. Would both surgeries done at the same time? Im aware that there is no medical coverage for aesthetic surgery but am I able to get the septoplasty covered and still achieve a more aesthetic appeal. Would I have to pay for the aesthetic part

Rhinoplasty. Would both surgeries done at the same time?

+1
Both the internal and external nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without seeing photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. Discuss you concerns with that plastic surgeon in person, including cost and arrangements for any potential partial insurance coverage.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty question

+1
Yes, both a functional and cosmetic nasal surgery can be performed at the same time. To avoid excessive downtime and to optimize results, most surgeons would recommend performing the procedures as a single surgery. The cosmetic part of the procedure always carries an additional out of pocket cost in addition to the functional portion covered by your insurance. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty at the Same Time

+1
Yes, it would absolutely make sense to do both surgeries at the same time.  If patients have both breathing and nasal appearance issues, I always take care of both issues at the same time.  It would be a mistake to separate these surgeries as it would make the separate surgeries more difficult and riskier.  Good Luck.  Dr. Pontell

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm interested in both Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty. Would both surgeries be done at the same time?

+1
  Both can be performed at the same time.  However, the aesthetic part will not be covered by insurance.

Septorhinoplasty

+1
Septorhinoplasty is a common nasal procedure to improve both function and appearance. The septoplasty may be covered by insurance but any changes to the outside of the nose are not and you will be responsible for charges related to that portion of the septorhinplasty procedure.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1
Both procedures should be done at the same time to achieve the best results. Most insurance companies will pay for the correction of breathing problems and you will pay for the aesthetic improvement. That is better than having 2 operations and your out of pocket expenses will be less.

Septorhinoplasty for airway and aesthetic results.

+1
Septorhinoplasty for airway and aesthetic results is done to correct both issues. Your insurance pays for the functional part and you pay for the aesthetic part. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Septoplasty for deviated septum and rhinoplasty for dorsal hump reduction

+1
A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity when there is a blockage of airflow in the back of the nose due to twisted and bone and cartilage. A septoplasty is done for functional purposes once the deviated septum has been diagnosed by your physician.
A rhinoplasty is performed for aesthetic purposes to reduce a hump, narrow the bridge  or tip.
Both procedures can be performed together under one anesthetic  and recovery period as an outpatient surgical procedure. The septoplasty is usually billed to the patient's medical insurance, while any aesthetic surgery is billed directly to the patient. For many examples of dorsal hump reduction, please see the link below

Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty done together

+1
Both procedures can be performed at one sitting. I have done many combined procedures with very satisfactory results. If you need spreader grafts placed in the dorsum of your nose to improve your breathing, then you might see a very soft widening of the bridge. This is not an aesthetic concern for most people. It is a trade-off for better air entry through you nostrils. Coverage for this type of combined surgery varies, depending on where the surgery is done.

Wayne R. Perron, MD
Calgary Plastic Surgeon