Is It Possible to Have a Neck Lift/lower Facelift with Concealed Scars?

I would have this procedure in a heartbeat if I wasn't so concerned about people noticing the work done. This is probably why women like me continue to spend considerable $ on lasers and fillers. No one can tell and mistakes generally aren't permanent of disfiguring. Also, approximately how long would it be until I can go out and socialize? Thanks for your assistance.

Will scars be visible after a facelift?

When a facelift is performed correctly, the scars should be imperceptible. This is because they are placed in certain areas that keep them out of sight and the tension is placed in the deeper layers, not on the skin surface.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck and Lower Face Lift With Hidden Scars Possible

Thank you for your question.  The typical lower facelift and neck lift is done with very well hidden scars.  Typically a small incision is placed beneath the chin where it will not be seen and the lower facelift scars can be placed behind the ear and should be well hidden.

Occasionally it is necessary to bring the incision around into the crease beneath your ear lobule.  This scar after healing is typically not noticeable.

Although recovery time varies with the individual typically 2 weeks is required for the bruising and swelling to resolve and for you to feel comfortable in public.  You will however be able to be up and around go out for walks the first 2 or 3 days after surgery and makeup can cover most of the bruising.  However I always advise not to plan an important social function like a wedding or a photography session for 6 weeks after  facelift or neck lift surgery.

Concealing Scars in Necklift/Lower Facelift

Yes, it is possible to conceal scars with neck lift/lower facelift procedures by utilizing the laser. The Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift is becoming known as a safe and fast alternative to the traditional facelift while providing a natural, non-surgical appearance.

I create a small, hidden incision is created in the natural fold under the chin. Then, instead of using a scalpel, I use a laser, liposuction, and sometimes a chin implant to improve the appearance of a sagging face, jowls, and neck.

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available.A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible to have a Neck lift/lower Facelift with Concealed Scars?

Thank you for your question.  When performed by a well trained plastic surgeon the scars should be almost invisible and placed meticulously in the hairline and inside the ear. There should be no hair loss and you should still be able to wear your hair short or tied back in a pony tail or bun.  

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

When performing lower facelift surgery, pencil-thin incisions are created in the hair (without altering the hairline or losing hair!) and inside the ear for imperceptible incision lines.  By 10-14 days, going out or seeing friends, family, or colleagues is possible with a little makeup. 

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concealed Scars with Lower Facelift/Neck Lift

I regularly perform short incision lower facelifts in which the incision is very small and the resulting scar is almost invisible. Just be sure to visit an experienced facial plastic surgeon for the procedure to ensure minimal scarring. Your physical activity should be limited for about 3 weeks following the procedure.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Lower face lift neck lift concealed scars

A lower face/neck lift is routinely performed with the majority of the incision in the crease behind the ear with less than an inch extension in front of the ear.  The placement of these incisions make them easily concealed and therefor difficult to see.

If these scars are still not acceptable to a patient then a liposuction of the jowls and neck can smooth the jawline and tighten the skin with 3 mm incisions behind the ears.

Further tightening may be accomplished using the Cellulaze Sidelaze laser system with only 2 mm incisions in these areas. (Very easily concealed).

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Necklift Might Serve As A Viable Alternative To Aggressive Necklift Surgery

The face is by no means the only area of our body that reflects the ravages of the passage of time. The neck, too, is vulnerable to assault from long-term ultraviolet exposure, the dictates of our genetics, gravitational effects, and changes in muscle mass and elasticity with chronological aging. A variety of surgical options exist for dealing with neck problems. These include full lifts, mini-lifts, minimal incision lifts, and S-Lifts. All are predicated on cutting away excess skin, shoring up the underlying tissue, and reinforcing the long, thin, sheet-like muscle layer, known as the platysma.

But all these methods of repair are true surgery, which are expensive, postoperatively painful, demand protracted recuperative times away from work and social activities, and risk permanent scars. Happily, The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Necklift offers a viable alternative for diminishing unsightly turkey necks and cords.

Like its facial counterpart, The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Facelift, which is discussed elsewhere in Realself, The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Necklift entails the strategic placement of "strands" or "strains" (i.e. threadlike deposits) of volumizing fillers (my favorite for this purpose being a combination of Radiesse, a calcium-based volumizer and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC, a hyaluronic based material) starting from the more "fixed' areas near the angles of the mandible down and outward across the jawline and extending inward radially toward the more mobile and lax central portion of the neck. The three dimensional result of creating these vectors (directions of force) in this fashion is to stretch the skin under the chin and smooth it.

Gratifying results are typically seen  immediately, and there is continued improvement in appearance over the course of the next four to eight weeks as the presence of the volumizing fillers within the tissues stimulates new native collagen formation leading to subsequent additional skin retraction and lifting of the target areas. The procedure typically takes about fifteen minutes to perform using only local anesthesia and typically entails little in the way of discomfort, bruising or swelling, i.e. little or no downtime.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Minimizing Scars after a Facelift

Facelift scars can be minimized by creating a slightly irregular contour and placing the incision behind the tragus (on the back of the cartilage of the ear).  Your eye is drawn to a straight line so a slightly irregular contour will make the incision less noticeable.  Also avoiding tension on the incision will help prevent the scar from widening.  In general it takes about 2 weeks to heal to a degree where one feels comfortable going out to social events.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower Facelift and Scarring

I perform a short scar facelift with an incision only around the ear that does not extend into any part of the hairline.