Eyeballs Beet-Red in Far Corners After Rhinoplasty?

Hello, Today is day 2 of my recovery process, I had quite a bit done (open rhino/septo, sewing of my cartilage for narrowing, fracturing and bump removal, dropped and narrowing the tip). I am extremely swollen all around my eyes and between my eyes brow. This morning I was cleaning my eyes when I noticed the far corners of my actual eyeballs were beet red, almost like they were bleeding. My eyesight is fine, however I'd like to know if this is normal, considering all the physical trauma. Thanks!

Red Eyes After Rhinoplasty

+1

I suggest that you see your doctor immediately; however it is most likely a subconjunctival hemorrhage which is common after surgery and very benign.  Though this usually resolves without any treatment, it's important to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Red eyes after Rhinoplasty

+1

Very often in the early post-rhino period, especially when Osteotomy is eprformed, there will be subconjunctival hematoma. Sleeping with your head elevated and frequent irrigation with eyedrops approved by your doctor will resolve it more quickly. Be sure to use eyedrops temporarily.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Red Eyes after Rhinoplasty

+1

The redness in the corner of your eyes is called a subconjuctival hemorrhage. It is similar to a bruise on your face but because the clear layer of the eyeball is so thin the bruise appears bright red. It will most likely slowly resolve over the next week or two.

Gary Motykie, MD

Red eyes after Rhinoplasty

+1

This happens sometimes.  It is a subconjunctival hemorrhage, essentially a bruise on the eye itself.  This will resolve and will not affect your vision.  Everyone is different, but it can take 4-6 weeks to completely go away.    

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ocular hemorrhage after rhinoplasty can occur

+1

In most cases this will resolve spontaneously.  There should be no change in vision or ocular pain. Bleeding in the subconjunctival vessels leads to the redness and can be quite dramatic.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redness in Eyes Post Rhinoplasty.

+1

Although not common many patients can have small bleeds beneath the sclera, or clear layer of the eyeball. It can be from trauma, minor or major, or from medications such as blood thinners. If you are having visual changes call your surgeon immediately. If they are just red then I would not worry. They will reabsorb on their own over time. You are only 2 days out so the swelling will worsen slightly more and the eyes might get a little worse, but then begin to resolve slowly over a few weeks.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Post rhinoplasty

+1

The reddness you see is called subconjunctival hemmorrhage.  It comes from blood tracking into the area from the nasal bone fractures during the rhinoplasty.  It is bright red due to  oxygen diffusion through the conjuctiva.  It will resolve over time and generally causes no problem.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Redness of lateral eyeballs 2 days post rhinoplasty

+1

What you are seeing is uncommon following a rhinoplasty but generally of no long term consequence. Related to seepage of small amounts of blood out of tiny blood vessels, it typically resolves fairly rapidly and rarely requires any treatment.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Reddened Eyes Following Nosejob Surgery

+1

As others have confirmed here, this can be seen following some types of rhinoplasty surgery. In essentially all cases, this will resolve fairly quickly as the healing process continues.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon