Do I Need to Get Veneers (Dentist Says I Do)? (photo)

I had my braces removed a week ago and my two upper canine teeth are demineralizing/pitting (something like that). They are bumpy and uncomfortable. The dentist said that I can have a composite layer put over the tooth, then should consider veneers are a permanent option. But my canine teeth are already protruding slightly so if I have the layer put over the tooth they will protrude more. I hate the idea of shaving my teeth down into stubs but I don't want my teeth protruding either.

Do I need Veneers?

+1

Do you like your smile? If you do, then you don't need to do anything. 

If you don't like your smile or you feel that your teeth are not proportional then you might consider porcelain veneers. 

The decision should be your and not the dentist's

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Do I Need to Get Veneers (Dentist Says I Do)?

+1

The decision on whether you should get veneers needs to be something that you want to do; not what your dentist wants you to do.  If you are happy with the way your teeth look and feel, leave them alone.  You can do cosmetic bondings as a temporary fix but know that these will eventually chip, stain, and need to be replaced.  If you are unhappy with your teeth, my recommendation would be to see a cosmetic dentist about veneers.  Porcelain veneers will give you a really amazing result as far as making them all even and give them that beautiful shine. Yes, veneers are permanent, however, if done by a properly trained dentist, they will take a very a very small amount of tooth structure off during their preparation of the tooth and they will look very natural.  We see many patients that come to get veneers after their braces come off.  I would recommend getting opinions from several cosmetic dentists so you can take all the info and make an informed decision.  Make sure you thoroughly research your dentist to ensure they are properly trained to do cosmetics.  Ask to see lots of examples of their work!

Charles Nottingham, DDS, FAGD
Fort Lauderdale Cosmetic Dentist

Less Invasive procedure first always!

+1

Hi Neslie in Toronto...You just finished with Braces.  Your teeth look good and nothing needs to be done at the moment. If you are uncomfortable with the way they feel, I would have them bonded, which will smooth the surface. If you still are unhappy with the size of the canines, then a possible minimal amount of reduction and contouring would work.  I would not jump on the veneer bandwagon right away! Start with simple less invasive procedures that are less costly, and if you are not happy, work your way up to veneers.

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

"Need" is hard to tell

+1

Nothing "needs" to be done, but goals may only be satisfied in specific ways.  If a tooth is too large or protruding, making it smaller is the only way to change it.  If very minimal amounts are needed, then enamelplasty (shaping/contouring) may be all you need.  If you need more than 0.5 mm reduction, then veneering may be best.

While removal of tooth structure would be needed, it is usually MUCH less than people think ("ground down to stubs").  It is often the same thickness as a fingernail.  Anything more than that is often a sign of inexperience by the operator.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Do I need veneers?

+1

You may want to consider a procedure enamelplasty first it may help smooth your teeth and help with protrusion good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Do I Need Veneers

+1

Veneers would certainly be an option but yes, unless some preparation was done adding non prep veneers would make the tooth more protruding.  Some conservative bonding could be done without making the tooth more protruding and would probably be the place to start as it is conservative and reversable.

Donald L. Wilcox, DDS
Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Do I need veneers after Ortho?

+1

Looking at the photo's its hard to see any pitting in the teeth but what can be seen is that Veneers would provide a beautiful result. The fact that you have been through Orthodontics (braces) means the teeth should be lined up fairly well, minimizing the need to "shave" down your teeth. If anything it looks more likely that the teeth surrounding your Canines would be built out a bit to give you a beautifully symmetrical smile. You would not be looking at shaving your teeth down to stubs. 

If you decided to go with Veneers, i would absolutely start with a proper Diagnostic Wax up with putty indexes. these can then be used to create mock up temporary Veneers that can be put on your teeth to visualize the final outcome. ( Try before you buy ) I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the results you can achieve with very minimal tooth removal. I would also suggest a very minimal amount of laser gum contouring be considered. 

Paul Newitt, BSc, DMD
Vancouver Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers for Pitting Teeth After Braces Removal

+1

Your dentist should try polishing the surfaces of the rough/pitted teeth, supplemented by minimal bonding. From your photos, I can't really see the pitting, so I don't know the extent.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist