How will having diabetes effect my Tummy Tuck recovery and results?

I'velost over 25 lbs and hope to lose more before TT. I have type 2 diabetes but with the weight loss and cleaner eating my blood sugar has lowered. How will having diabetes effect my TT recovery and results?

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. Diabetes is a disease that should demand a healthy respect from both surgeon and patient in plastic surgery. It is a disease that affects the immune system and can increase the risk of infection, a disease that affects the healing potential of a wound and can cause opening of a wound, and is a disease of the circulation that can lower the blood flow to the operated tissue and cause necrosis or tissue death. This needs to be managed as follows:

1. Tight blood glucose control with diet, exercise, and medication. You need to see your internal medicine doctor regularly and make sure your diabetes is well controlled.
2. If you are overweight, then losing weight decreases your risk in tummy tuck surgery or any other surgery for that matter.
3. If you have high blood pressure, this needs to be managed and well controlled by your internal medicine doctor as well.
4. ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING!
5. Consider with your surgeon HyperBaric Oxygen therapy pre- and post-op.
6. Make sure you understand from your surgeon and anesthisiologist what medications you should take or not take prior to surgery.

It is very possible to have a great outcome as a diabetic following tummy tuck surgery, but minimizing the risk is the most rational way of accomplishing this.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1
Your blood sugar evels need to be carefully managed in the peri-operative period.  Provided your blood sugar is i good control you should be able to have a tummy tuck with minimal risk.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Type II diabetes and an abdominoplasty

+1
It is most important for your type II diabetes to be under control prior to surgery.  Your medication levels may change in the early post operative period so careful blood glucose monitoring is needed.  

+1
A well controlled Diabetic with no other medical problems will do very well with Tummy Tuck Surgery.
If you don't have good control, it should be optimised before surgery for the best results.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

How will having diabetes affect my Tummy Tuck recovery and results?

+1
   If your blood sugar is well controlled and you have no end organ disease as a result of your diabetes, the tummy tuck can be safely performed.

Diabetes and tummy tuck

+1
Congratulations on the weight loss. Diabetes can affect wound healing and also put you at higher risk for surgical complications.  It is important to have the disease under strict control and to have active post-surgical followup.  Best wishes!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Diabetes and tummy tuck.

+1
Hello:

If you have good control of your serum hemoglobin A1C level (well under 7 and closer to 6),  this should contribute to a safe and successful procedure.  So long as you are monitored well just before, during, and after surgery, and have considered an overnight stay if indicated, these measures can help ensure a smooth course.  If the diabetes has associated problems with your heart and blood pressure and you are in your 40s, an EKG is indicated and a recent medical update by your primary physician could be in order.  Your plastic surgeon can perform these tests and provide a preoperative history and physical as well.

Donn Hickman, MD

Tummy tuck and diabetes

+1
A tummy tuck can be safely performed on a diabetic patient. The key is to make sure the patient is optimized by losing weight as you have and keeping your blood sugars tightly controlled. Because you are diabetic it is important to know that you have an increases possibility of wound healing complications. Good luck

Gaurav Bharti 

Gaurav Bharti, MD
Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your weight loss thus far. You are wise to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Doing so, will help minimize complications around the time of surgery and improve the outcome of the procedure as well.

Well controlled diabetes is not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery and/or other elective plastic surgical procedures. Always best to check with your primary care physician or endocrinologist for “medical clearance” prior to surgery.  Managing your diabetic medications around the time of surgery (to avoid hypo as well as hyperglycemia), while you will have altered oral intake, will be important.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Diabetes and tummy tuck healing

+1
Diabetes can interfere with wound healing from any operation. Diabetes affects the circulation as well as the bodies ability to fight infection and to produce the normal scar tissue required for healing. As long as your sugar is well controlled both before and after surgery, and you surgeon follows your progress closely you should still do well. Take your time in choosing the right doc as well as the right location for your surgery. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD