I Had a Mid Face Lift, Did Not Have my Eyes Done, but my Eyes Are Elongated Slits 2 Weeks Post Op?

Will my formerly bigger, round eyes return to their shape again and will the new wrinkles and folds now surrounding them be gone? i did not have my eyes done, because they were fine before my mid-face lift. thanks.

Slit Eyes after Midface Lift

+2

Even though the lower eyelids were not done, a canthopexy or canthoplasty (stitch to anchor the lower eyelid) is probably accounting for the slit like eyes.  These procedures relax over a few weeks, and the eyes should become rounder.

Change in the shape of the eyes following facelift

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. 2 weeks is still soon after your surgery, and you are still experiencing swelling at this time. It is difficult to predict whether or not the wrinkles and folds around them will be gone without knowing more about what was performed during your surgery and examining you in person. From here, I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as he/she may be able to provide you with advice on the issue. They know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

My eyes look different following a mid-face lift

+2

2 weeks is still relatively early in the healing process to assess whether or not the shape of your eyes has changed permanently. Depending on the type of midface lift you had done, it's possible they may have tightened the lower eyelids at the same time which can change the shape. I would be optimistic that they will return to their normal shape as the healing continues and the swelling resolves. Make sure that you follow up with your surgeon to ensure that everything is healing according to plan.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Changes of eye shape after midface lift

+2

Thank you for your question. It is still fairly early in your post operative period to assess the final results. Depending on the type of midface lift that you had done, the swelling can take a long time to fully resolve. The cheeks and eyes will gradually change as you heal, and after a couple more weeks you will have a better idea of the final result.

It is possible to have changes in the shape of your eyes after some types of midface lifts. As the cheeks become elevated, their shape can also be elongated and changed. If you are concerned, it would discuss your eyes with your plastic surgeon.

Best of luck with the rest of your recovery.
Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Eye Changes After Facelift

+2

The eye shape change may be related swelling.  I would give it time for swelling to resolve and the shape of your eyes may return to their normal shape.  Additionally, now that your cheek ins fuller this may actually make your eyes look different. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Changes in eyes early on after midface lift

+2

You are very early in the course of healing, and most likely what you are experiencing is the result of swelling.  This will get better over time.

John Q. Cook, MD

Midface recovery

+2

Your concerns are common after a mid face lift.  Typically, there could be swelling and distortion for weeks to months after this procedure.  Most likely, your eyes should improve as your swelling goes down and everything settles into place. 

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mid facelift and eyelid surgery

+2

Dear ittvagyok,

• Lifting the midface and cheek can make it look like the eyes are swollen
  • Also, you are very, very early in the post op recovery period
  • As the swelling comes down, the eyes should look better

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD