Does Botox help with Bell's palsy? Can it line up my face and stop my eye from twitching?

Hello I have been bullied all my life and was wondering if botox can help line up my face and take away the twitching in my eye thank you

Botox for Bell's Palsy

+2
Sorry to hear about your Bells' palsy.  Blepharospasm (eyelid spasms) can be improved with Botox in patients with Bell's palsy.  The injector needs to not over-dose you as the eyelid closure is already weakened.  Getting perfect symmetry for your face is not possible, but subtle improvements can be achieved.  Problem is that you don't want your non-paralyzed side to droop to look more like the paralyzed side.  

Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Botox help Bell's Palsy?

+1
Dear Rolo,

Bell’s Palsy condition is a condition of facial nerve weakness, usually one-sided. If the underlying cause of the Bell’s Palsy and the facial weakness does not resolve, then animated facial asymmetries can occur, such as low brow, droopy smile, smooth or soft tissue fissures, weakness of eye closure, partial breathing obstruction and abnormal lip movements on the side affected by the Bell’s Palsy. Paradoxically, the contra-lateral, or other, side of the face is often afflicted by overanimated muscle motion, such a facial twitching and elevated facial features.

I was a head and neck oncologic cancer surgeon for many years and, in dealing with cancers around the facial nerve, induced facial nerve weaknesses occurred in removing the cancer. I have found, both in my reconstructive practice and over the last 18 years of my aesthetic practice, that Botox® can be extremely helpful in modulating and improving some of the excessive facial movements that occur on the unaffected Botox® side. It also balances a lot of the soft tissue contours, such as brow shape, eyelid appearance, nostril width and mouth position. Botox® combined with soft tissue fillers can often make an extremely pleasing improvement in the long-term aesthetic consequences of Bell’s Palsy. To find out more, check the following link below.

Sincerely,
R. Stephen Mulholland, Certified Plastic Surgeon, Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Botox for Bell's Palsy

+1
For some patients, Botox can help with Bell's Palsy. It is best to consult with a Bell's Palsy and facial paralysis expert to determine the best treatment for you. 

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologist

+1
Yes. Botox can definitely improve symmetry in cases of facial palsy. This can be complicated and you need a physician injector who understands the issues presented by facial palsy. They also need an exceptional knowledge of the facial musculature. Botox can reduce spasticity/ twitching. It can also be used to raise or lower certain facial features improving symmetry. Make sure that your injector has successfully treated facial paralysis patients in the past. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Siurgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox can help with improving symmetry and balance especially in those with facial palsy

+1
Botox can be used to help re-balance facial expression and reduce twitches in people who have Bell's and other palsy's. It is an advanced injection technique and requires an excellent understanding of facial anatomy and very precise placement of the drug for best effects. I think it's one of the most wonderful effects of Botox that go beyond pure aesthetics. 

Doris Day, MD