I Want to Get Perlane to Enhace my Cheeks, my Chin and my Lips

my cheecks have "fallen" for the past year, making me look tired and older, my jawline looks funny, and I never had a prominent chin, I feel very tempted to do fillers, I have consulted with a doctor and he said we can fill my cheecks and my chin, and that would make me looka a bit younger (I'am 35, so the problem is not too bad, but I noticed it)I'am just too scared of necrosis,i have seen horrible pictures of this side effect, this keeps me from doing it,any advice?

Fillers and necrosis

+1

There are definitely higher risk areas when injecting any filler to your face, and from what you're describing, sounds like you're in need of some pretty straight forward volumizing to lower risk areas. If you consult and have treatment by a well-trained and experienced provider, you'll minimize your risks. It's not common to have a necrotic experience, even to higher risk areas of the face.

Perlane to re-volumize the face

+1

Greetings Silviamari~

Perlane is a great way to re-volumize the face and areas that you feel may have become sunken over time. It's good to be aware of risks and complications but don't become too overwhelmed by them.  The risk of necrosis with Perlane comes from occlusion of a blood vessel.  If this occurs, hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the Perlane that is causing the problem and the event can be stopped in its tracks.  Bruising and  swelling are really the most common things that occur and are transient.   If you're not completely comfortable with the first doctor you met with, you may consider a consult with someone else if you think it may make you feel more at ease.  Perlane is a great product and very safe. I think you'll be happy with the results.

Good luck!

Dr. Grant Stevens        

Grant Stevens, MD

Be conservative with your first treatments, Perlane or otherwise

+1

Being 35 is actually a great time to start some maintenance treatment, but you have to feel comfortable with the procedure, and it is good to appreciate the side effects--bruising, swelling, redness at the area of injection, discomfort, and worst case scenario, skin necrosis if arterial injection/compression occurs.  The latter is an extremely rare occurrence, and can be reversed with hyaluronidase if Perlane is used.

Your face ages by losing volume in many places in your face.  It is great that your doctor suggested volume replacement in several areas.  You might consider a biostimulatory agent, such as Sculptra, instead of the Perlane.  It may allow volume replacement in these areas with longer lasting results.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Perlane may be used for chin, cheeks, and lips!

+1

Perlane is probably one of the most versatile of the facial fillers.  When used properly it can give great results under the eyes, allow the chin, cheeks, lips, and nose.  A few nice things about Perlane:

1. doesn't cause as much initial swelling as Radiesse
  2. reversible if needed, unlike Radiesse
  3. doesn't cause swelling around the eyes like Juvederm

That being said, Juvederm is probably better for the lips, as it is silky smooth and is less likely to cause palpable bumps in the lips than Perlane.  Radiesse gives longer and fuller results for the chin and cheeks than Perlane and may stimulate more collagen production.

A lot of the filler choices vary from practitioner to practitioner, so I recommend looking at a lot of before and afters, but in summary, Perlane is a great choice for first time dermafiller patients.  Good luck and take care!

I'm very proud of my work with Perlane and invite you to review our Perlane results at the link below!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Perlane injections

+1

Perlane is an excellent filler for the nasolabial (cheek) folds and chin. The risk of skin necrosis is extremely small, but this is something you can discuss with your physician. Make sure you find a physician with extensive experience with fillers (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, cosmetic dermatology).

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for facial rejuvenation

+1

Fillers ot the face have really turned the world of facial rejuvenation upside down. It is a great tool to improve some signs of aging.  It does not mean that patients will not require facelifts, but it is a nice adjunct.

Nonsurgical Cheek Augmentation, Lip Augmentation and Jowl Treatment Can Be Really Effective

+1

These days, nonsurgically enhancing flattening cheeks, filling and shaping thinning lips, straightening out jowls along the jaw line, and restoring projection to receding chins are quite routinely performed in the office in a matter of minutes by experienced esthetic physician injectors. A variety of volumizing and contouring (shaping) materials, i.e.injectables that restore lost volume and which may be molded once injected according to need, are used for these purposes. In the U.S., these include Perlane, Perlane L, Juverderm UltraPlus, Juvederm UltraPlus XC, Sculptra, and Radiesse. In Canada, Europe and the Middle East, many more volumizing agents are currently available that are pending FDA approval and will eventually come to the American market during the next few years. 

What is important is that a physician experienced with all available materials make the choice of which materials or combinations of agents are best for any particular purpose. Radiesse, for example, may be chosen for reshaping the cheeks, while Juvederm UltraPlus may be selected for the lips, and Perlane for the jawline and chin region. For best effect, two agents may also be layered in the same location if deemed necessary. The crucial point is that fortunately, nowadays, we have a ever widening array of injectables for diverse purposes and we needn't rely, unlike in the past, on just one to do everything.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Perlane for filler of cheeks and chin

+1

This question was recently posed. Perlane and other fillers in the cheek and chin is a very safe procedure, although every procedure has risks. Err on the side of caution and under correct rather than overcorrect. Multiple treatments can be done if you're very concerned and in this way you can get accustomed to the filler before there is full correction.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Risk of complications with Perlane

+1

The risk of necrosis with Perlane is very small if the doctor injecting the filler is well-trained and experienced with dermal filler injections.  The experience of the injector has been found one of the most important factors in decreasing the rate of side effects, including necrosis. 

Necrosis happens when the filler occludes an artery, either by being placed into the artery or by putting pressure on the artery due to the amount of tissue water it attracts when placed into the skin.

As far as how Perlane works for the areas you mentioned, it's great for cheeks and chin, but I would recommend a hyaluronic acid filler with a finer structure for the lips, like Restylane or Juvederm Ultra.  You want the lips soft and pliable.  Perlane is somewhat too robust for the lips.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Little risk of necrosis with Perlane

+1

You are interested in having Perlane injected into your cheeks and chin. Usually the product is placed very deeply in those areas, so the chance of necrosis is very small. The best product for you to try is one like Perlane, a hyaluronic acid,  because there is an enzyme that will literally dissolve it overnight should you have a complication or an unsatisfactory result after treatment.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon