I'm 25, about 5'2, 110 lbs and I wear a 34B bra. Is 470cc too large for my frame? (photo)

Hi, I'm 25, about 5'2, 110 lbs and I wear a 34B bra. I went for my consult today and decided on silicone, 470cc, under, higher profile. I just want to look fuller w/o being super round up top. I don't mind if it's a little bit big but not too much. I also don't want to regret getting an implant too small and want to try and fill the gap between my breasts as much as possible and obviously have a nice cleavage and side boob. What do you think of the size? Should I go w/450cc or a little bit smaller?

Is 470cc breast implants too big? Well... it depends!

+2
Thank you very much for allowing us to answer this important question about #breastimplant and sizing.  It is a very common question in both my clinics in downtown Toronto and in Richmond Hill.

#Breastaugmentation is my most common surgical procedure in my downtown #Toronto practice.  When patients come for consultation, I asked them to bring a bra of the size they are looking for.  I have great sizers at the office so my ladies can try various sizes with my help and with my patient coordinator.  They are also welcomed to bring in their partners, sisters, etc.

If the goal is to get a natural result, I will then measure the width and height of the patient's breasts and this will guide me in choosing the right implants.  Once the diameter of the implants is chosen based on your anatomy, we can then choose an implant with plus or minus projection in order to achieve the patient's augmentation goals.  Choosing a too large implants may look unnatural, and the same way, a too small implant in a large breast may also look unnatural.

Best to choose a board-certified plastic surgeon who will be honest with you as far as expectations are concerned.

Good luck in your research! 

Best, Dr. Marc DuPere, board-certified Toronto plastic surgeon, voted best plastic surgery clinic in Toronto for 2013 by Consumers Choice

450-470 cc implant sounds too big for your weight and height.

+1
You don't want to destroy your skin and breast tissue by having implants that are too big.  There is only so much elasticity to the skin and the weight of the implants will make your breasts 'sag' very quickly.  Your back and neck will also become tired from wearing a bras carrying that much weight.  

You can alway enhance the size of your breasts after implant surgery (push up bras, tight clothing etc) but you can't go back if you pick an implant that is too big.  Some patients want their breasts to be the most noticeable part of their body; in that case 450-470 cc implants are not too big for you.  Wishing you the best with your decision!

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

+1
At size 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. 470 cc implants will take you up 5 cup sizes to a size G. Implants this large will not fit in the retro-pectoral position, will extrude inferiorly and laterally requiring revision. To achieve optimal results you need smaller implants with a simultaneous lift. I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Through the same incision, implants can be placed. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant. Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it. This technique will give you the cleavage you desire without the side boob. 22% of women who undergo breast augmentation alone require revision within 2 years because they are dissatisfied with the result.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

470 cc breast implants may be too big for you

+1
Thank you for your question and photographs.  You have very normal natural pretty looking breasts and a small frame.

Of course an in person consultation is most important for accurate advice.

That said In my experience 470 cc implants would make you noticeably large an call attention to your breasts.  A 300-350 cc breast implant should give you a nice full breasts without looking overly big.Larger implants do raise the risk of capsular contraction.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

470cc high profile breast implants on a petite frame.

+1
Dear RKay,

You have a petite frame.  Large high profile implants on a petite frame will be VERY noticeable and will be very tight for several months.  Additionally, "filling the gap" between the breasts is usually better achieved with a lower profile, wider implant.  Your surgeon has the advantage of having personally evaluated and examined you and discussed your goals.  Perhaps, your question should be redirected to him/her.  Let them know your concerns and they can guide you to a correct decision.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Too big?

+1
My key determinant of what constitutes "too big" is the base width of your breast. I recommend to my patients that they choose an implant that in no wider than their natural breast dimensions. If the implant is wider than their breast, it is too big. If you have chosen a high profile implant that does not exceed your base width and you think this much volume looks good on your frame, then it is the right size for you. How did you choose this size? If it was just by pictures in before/after galleries, I would go back to my surgeon and place that implant in your bra and see how you think it looks on your frame.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

Implant selection

+1
A breast augmentation is an operation of degrees.  There will be an objective range for each individual when it comes to selecting a breast implant size.  In order for you to have a nice result the base diameter and projection must be correct or the volume will not matter.  An experienced plastic surgeon will help you making this important decision.  

What happens if you choose too big of a breast implant?

+1
Choose an implant that is too small, and you will generally look better, just not as much as you hoped. Too big an implant may cause the following problems:
1. excessive pain (muscle and nerves stretched)
2.wound healing problems with potential implant extrusion 
3. neck and back pain
4. limited athletic activity
5. stretch marks and skin stretched out- even if you take out the implants, your breasts will be permanently stretched and look deflated, which will require a breast lift to fix
6. greater difficulty from breast enlargement during pregnancy
7.rippling or folding if implant is too wide to lie flat

Consider a consultation with another surgeon to help you decide if you have chosen the right size for you.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

+1
Thank you for your question. I tell all of my patients “Dimensions and proportions are the determinants of a beautiful breast; not volume.” I recommend that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your breast augmentation options based on breast measurements and tissue dynamics.

Wesley T. Myers, MD
Conroe Plastic Surgeon

Difference between 470 and 450cc is minimal

+1
To choose a breast implant size you need to try on sizers and see if you are happy with what you like in the mirror.  Nobody can tell you what will make you happy or not.  It's all about what you like when you look into the mirror. 
As to the difference between 470 and 450.... one implant is just a few MILLIMETERS smaller than the other so it really makes very little difference.
If really unsure, schedule another meeting with your clinic for sizing and make sure you're happy with what you see in the mirror when you try on different implants.

Martin Jugenburg, MD