18 with Dermatochalasis? (photo)

I'm 18 and believe I have dermatochalasis. My eyelids have always been quite droopy and seem to get worse with time. It must be hereditary because my dad and his whole family have very droopy eyelids (my dad had surgery to get this corrected a few years ago). Is dermatochalasis the condition I have? And would I be to young right now for to get a blepharoplasty done? Should I do anything about under my eyes?

Full eyelids can be considered attractive. I don't recommend surgery at this point.

+1

When I do cosmetic surgery in the upper eyelid, I’m very conservative and precise about the way I reduce the amount of skin and fat.  The male upper eyelid has a certain amount of fullness that is considered natural. Although there are plenty of men born lacking fullness in the upper eyelid, a more defined upper eyelid is considered attractive. When you look at some stars, actors and even models, their upper eyelids have some skin and volume. In contrast, some actors who are considered too have had too much cosmetic surgery on the upper eyelids tend to look more hollowed out and have lost a lot of volume, which many consider less attractive.

It’s good that you understand your family history and pattern, but I suggest that you should not rush into a cosmetic eyelid procedure at this point. Doing an upper eyelid procedure at the age of 18 is not recommended because you have more facial maturing to anticipate over the next 5 to 10 years. Your face will still continue to change and mature. You may consider having the surgery when you get a bit older and when your eyelids have changed with some added fullness to it.

For now, I suggest that you look at your family history. Also look at the old pictures of your family and see how things progress, but don’t rush into anything at this point. I think it’s worthwhile for you to wait before doing any cosmetic eyelid surgery. I hope that was helpful and thanks for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dermatochalasis and youth

+1

The short answer to your question is that yes you can have excess upper eyelid skin even at a young age. I recently did a 19 year old who had this condition which in her case was hereditary in nature. It is a relatively simple quick procedure if you indeed have excess skin. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post your photo

+1

It doesn't seem to me that any of the photos you have posted are your own.

Full eyelids may be a hereditary feature, and I have operated on patients as young as 19 or 20 for this issue.

But it may be that your "droopy eyelid" may be eyelid ptosis, rather than dermatochalasis, and these two conditions have very different surgical treatments.

If you post your own photo, we may be able to give you a better recommendation.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

18 and Dermatochalasis?

+1

You do appear to have obliteration of the normal upper eyelid sulcus, but a complete exam with brow in animation and in relaxation would be necessary.