Vomited 1 Day Post-Op Tummy Tuck, I Believe I Busted the Sutures, Could this cause Seroma?

I had a tummy tuck at the end of July. The evening post op, I violently vomited. I heard and felt a major pop. I immediately felt my tummy tuck was looser. By the next morning I could stand straight. Over the next 9 days I then developed a seroma and infection which then resulted in wound dehiscence and suture rejection. Could I have completely undone the muscle repair from vomiting and could the vomiting cause damage for a seroma to develop?

Vomiting and seromas

+2

I'm sorry that you have gone through a rough patch healing from your tummy tuck.  It is often very hard to definitely pinpoint a cause for a postoperative complication, since seromas-infections-wound breakdown can happen without a history of vomiting.   It is possible that trauma caused by violent vomiting could have caused internal injury such as bleeding or sutures breaking, but there is really no way to know for sure.

I hope you are recovering well and happy with your ultimate results!  

Tummy Tuck - Vomited 1 Day Post-Op Tummy Tuck, I Believe I Busted the Sutures, Could this cause Seroma?

+1

Unfortunately, you may well have ripped your sutures.  Although it is rare it can happen and the scenario you describe is completely consistent with that.  If that is, in fact, what happened, you would not have the extent of repair, particularly with respect to the tightness of the abdomen, that was originally intended and achieved surgically.  Seromas can occur with or without any complications, but they are more likely when there has been some excess bleeding...and that may have resulted from the disrupted sutures.  So while it's not the disrupted sutures themselves that caused the seroma, it is possible that the combination produced exactly what you're suggesting.

You need to, of course, contact your plastic surgeon and go over all of this with him or her to see what your options are.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Complications?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complications experienced after the tummy tuck surgery. Based on your description, it is very likely that the “violent vomiting"  has caused  disruption of the muscle plication sutures.  However, it is more difficult to blame the vomiting for the other complications you have experienced.

I hope you are  continuing close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  After a period of time,  if it becomes clear that the muscle plication has been disrupted,  revisionary surgery may become necessary.

Vomiting After a Tummy Tuck

+1

Sounds like you must have heavily vomited if you busted your sutures. You should consult your surgeon and have them take a look at your incision site to make sure that you do not have any openings.  Also as far as muscles needing repair, that is something that will have to be determined by your surgeon.

There isn’t a concrete correlation between vomiting being the only post operative issue that causes seromas, but if a seroma is to develop, as it has, your surgeon will most likely need to drain it several times to make sure there is no longer fluid build up being accumulated.

I am sorry to hear you are having to go through this. I highly advise you to consult with your surgeon about these issues.

To learn more, please visit our page on potential complications of a tummy tuck procedure.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Can vomiting disrupt sutures after a Tommy tuck operation.

+1
Post op vomiting is never good after any operation, but by itself, vomiting should not disrupt your sutures in the muscle layer. If it did there would be a lot of suture dehiscences. If the sutures cut into the tissues it could cause bleeding which could cause a hematoma. Old hematomas eventually become a seromas. Infections are possible in hematomas and seromas, especially after multiple aspirations. How are you doing now. Is everything ok now?

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Violent vomiting after tummy tuck

+1

It sounds like you have had some less than desirable issues. Bouts of intense vomiting immediately following surgery for an abdominoplasty can potentially cause breakage of the muscle repair due to the powerful muscle forces breaking the sutures or causing them to tear through the tissues. Was your plastic surgeon aware of this violent vomiting as well as the pop that you heard? Do you have an abnormal bulge that is present which is why you are concerned about this issue?

This however should have nothing to do with the development of a seroma or the infection.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

+1

Yes very possible. But how are you now 3 months + after operation??? Are you healed? What are your results? Please determine your next step carefully. 

Vomiting after tummy tuck

+1

You could very well have ruptured your sutres, that is what the pop likey represented.  Did you inform your doctor at the time?  This has nothing to do with a seroma, spitting sutures, or infection.

This is a huge operation and complications do happen from time to time.  Please discuss your concerns with your doctor.  Show him any changes in contour.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Coughing after tummy tuck

+1

While it is possible that you disrupted your sutures, it is very unusual.  However, from you description, it sounds like that may be what happened.  Hopefully you have been following closely with your surgeon in the post-operative period.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD