Torn Labia Minora?

After giving birth, I checked myself in the mirror when I got home and discovered what looks like a small penis sticking out. Apparently, no one noticed that my left labia minora was torn from the clit down to the base where it is still attached. What do I do now? I am very upset and want to make sure it gets fixed well. I am a little concerned at how long it has been and if it will heal. What can be done?

Torn labium

+1

I  have repaired torn labia from childbirth many times.  I essentially do a wedge resection of the tear and suture the labium together. Sometimes, I need to reduce the opposite labium to get symmetry.  However, you must wait for surgery until you are at least 4-5 months after the tear for the tissues to heal.  The surgery must be meticulously performed or it may not heal.  It is okay to have childbirth after the repair if you wait at least six months. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Repair of a torn labia minora

+1

Early treatment of the wound followed by staged labiaplasty surgery to correct the torn labia minora are the best options.  I would recommend this procedure under local anesthesia or sedation anesthesia. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Torn Labia Minora

+1

It is very likely that this can be repaired although it is hard to say anything specifically without a photo or, even better, your being examined in person by a surgeon.  You may want to wait until you're finished having children or, depending on the severity and how you feel about this, you may want to have the repair now and worry about the future...in the future.  Either way, you should be seen in person to have the best possible assessment.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Torn Labia Minora

+1

Yes, this can be repaired.  Anytime you have surgery, it takes @ 6 weeks to heal an incision.  Labia Surgery is very common.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) to discuss your expectations and concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD