Torn Labia Minora?

After giving birth, I checked myself in the mirror when I got home and discovered what looks like a small penis sticking out. Apparently, no one noticed that my left labia minora was torn from the clit down to the base where it is still attached. What do I do now? I am very upset and want to make sure it gets fixed well. I am a little concerned at how long it has been and if it will heal. What can be done?

Traumatic Labia Minora Injury

+1
Labia reconstruction is common after traumatic injuries such as childbirth or occasionally after cancer.

This type of injury can be fixed with a small surgical procedure. As you stated time has passed so it is a little different than it would be at the time of the injury but can still be easily accomplished and treated with good results.

It is difficult to talk about your particular situation but in general the injury that you describe can be fixed with excising the healed edges of the torn labia to create a fresh new edge. Once this new edge has been created the labial can be reset to match the contralateral labia.

This procedure can be done under local anesthesia or with sedation depending on the extent of the injury and the individual patient.

I would recommend that you consult your board certified plastic surgeon so that you can be evaluated and discuss your options.

It is definitely possible to repair torn labia minor.

+1
I have repaired "torn" labia minora from many causes including child birth, childhood falls on bicycles and fences.  The repair needs an experience hand as the tissues are very delicate.  Very fine sutures need to be used to allow for the best healing. 

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Torn labium

+1

I  have repaired torn labia from childbirth many times.  I essentially do a wedge resection of the tear and suture the labium together. Sometimes, I need to reduce the opposite labium to get symmetry.  However, you must wait for surgery until you are at least 4-5 months after the tear for the tissues to heal.  The surgery must be meticulously performed or it may not heal.  It is okay to have childbirth after the repair if you wait at least six months. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Repair of a torn labia minora

+1

Early treatment of the wound followed by staged labiaplasty surgery to correct the torn labia minora are the best options.  I would recommend this procedure under local anesthesia or sedation anesthesia. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Torn Labia Minora

+1

It is very likely that this can be repaired although it is hard to say anything specifically without a photo or, even better, your being examined in person by a surgeon.  You may want to wait until you're finished having children or, depending on the severity and how you feel about this, you may want to have the repair now and worry about the future...in the future.  Either way, you should be seen in person to have the best possible assessment.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Torn Labia Minora

+1

Yes, this can be repaired.  Anytime you have surgery, it takes @ 6 weeks to heal an incision.  Labia Surgery is very common.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) to discuss your expectations and concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD