I Am Exactly 1 Month PO, is It Ok to Sleep Without my Sports Bra at This Point? (photo)

I was a 34A before my BA. I have 360cc implants placed submuscular. My incision is in the crease and healing great! The scar is so thin and small. I am in shape, 5'5" and weigh 105 lbs.

Post-op Bra after Breast Augmentation

I have my patients wear their sports bra all the time for 6 weeks.  The reason is - scars (on the inside, around your implant and on the outside) are the strongest they are going to ever be at 6 weeks, so you know that the implant is positioned where you want it to be at that point.  You have a great result! K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgery

I Am Exactly 1 Month PO, is It Ok to Sleep Without my Sports Bra at This Point?

All surgeons tend to vary on this issue currently.  It is my opinion that you would be best served following through to 6 weeks after surgery unless a change is recommended by your surgeon.  Congratulations on your breast augmentation.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Ok to Sleep Without my Sports Bra

Your surgeon knows you, knows what was done, and has followed your recovery. This question about post op care is best addressed to him/her. Many surgeons would not ask you to wear a bra at night at this stage, some would want six weeks.

All the best. 

Sports bra after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I often recommend that patients find a sports bra that opens in the front and that is comfortable to wear. They can take breaks during the day (or night) and I also encourage breast massage after a week. It is important for your implants to move around and develop a comfortable space (or capsule) within the breast.

Ask your surgeon

I generally recommend that patients sleep on their side or back initially, while wearing a good bra that provides support. This should be done throughout the first eight weeks of your recovery. Doing so prevents the implants from being displaced by falling to the sides or "bottoming out". However, it's best to follow your surgeon's instructions.

Sports bra likely not necessary at 1 month breast augmentation post-op

I would discuss that with your surgeon. Every surgeon will have a somewhat different post-operative regimen, but most surgeons would agree that using a sports bra or surgical bra to hold shape and position of the implants is not necessary at 1 month. There are some instances where it may be useful depending on the technical details of the surgery, so it is important to check with your surgeon.

Again this is a post operative question that is very specific to the surgeon you selected. Best to call or see him/her to ask. 

Sports Bra after Breast Augmentation

I prefer for my breast augmentation patients to wear sports bra for six weeks day and night after surgery. The sports bra is more comfortable, prevents swelling, and promotes better symmetry.

Sports bra after surgery

Yes, the sports bra is for comfort after 4 weeks.  Anything comfortable will do, except for underwire.

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Although it is probably ok to sleep without a bra, this is a question you need to ask your surgeon. Every surgeon is different. I ask my patients to wear a bra at night for 6 weeks.