Cresent Lift Scar and Crease Directly Below Scar

I just had a crescent lift a week and a half ago when I took the surgical tape off I noticed two distinct lines. One is the scar and the other seems to be a crease. The nurse told me it will go away but it has been days and no improvement in the slightest. It is very unsightly and the crease is worse than the scar. Is this common? Will it indeed go away?

Crescent lift scars vs. periareolar nipple scars for a nipple lift

+2

You are quite early after your surgery and the work seems to have been skillfully done, so things should change for the better with time.

We in general do not like crescent lifts except for the most minor of nipple adjustments.

There tends to be a pulling and splaying of the nipple, with an incision created only on a portion of the areola.

For many patients in our practice, we have found it preferable to do a minimal periareolar lift with the incision completely around the areola.  This is especially useful if patients have had prior periareolar incision and the nipple has changed slightly in shape-- usually a shortening of the nipple to bottom of areolar distance, sometimes a downturn in the nipple itself.

Scars after Crescent Breast Lift

+2

The "scar" closer to the nipple appears to actually be a crease.  This may be due to swelling and internal stitching.  This should resolve over several months.

Dr.  ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Crescent Lift Scar?

+1

The crease you are referring to is related to the suturing of the dermal layers; this will usually resolve within months.

SEE VIDEO BELOW: Bunching, pleating, or gathering of periareolar or nipple scar is normal

+1

The bunching, pleating, or gathering of your periareolar or nipple scar is normal and is due to gathering of the deeper layers of the skin to create a tension free environment for the upper layers of the skin and produce a fine line scar.

Crescent lifts and creases

+1

I would agree with two of the answers given. In my opinion, the "crescent lift" is not a lift and is a misguided surgical concept that has very few or no applications. The crease problem is not, however, directly related to the crescent approach. The crease is caused by the deep dermal closure to take tension off the scar/incision line to keep the scar from spreading and will resolve as the (presumably) absorbable sutures lose their structural strength and start to dissolve. Even with a perfect scar and resolution of the crease you will still have the problem of a diffuse border of the lower half of the areola and a sharp border of the upper half. The only way to adjust this that I know of (other than to incise and scar the lower border) is to tattoo areolar color into the border area around the scar. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Scar should improve

+1

Hi MissCalifornia,

I see what you are saying from the photo but I cannot tell exactly what it is due to.  I agree that the nurse who is familiar with the surgeons technique and his post-op results should be familiar with what the early and later post-op result looks like.  If she says it will go away, it probably will.  Patients often worry and say "but what if it doesn't" , so the following comment is just in case you are thinking this.  It is a very simple, in office procedure to revise a scar.  So if in 9-12 months it is not satisfactory, a simple touchup should do the trick.  I find that keeping paper tape on the scar for 3 months helps a lot; your surgeon may prefer something else.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Crease of breast

+1

I am not sure what you are referring to?  A crease under the breast may be swelling or stretching of the pocket.

Deep sutures making an indentation....

+1

The crease you are looking at is being created by the deep absorbable sutures your surgeon placed.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  We all have different surgical techniques as to how to place sutures and that is why his nurse is likely used to seeing incisions that look like this.  It will probably take a month or so for this line you are seeing to start to go away.  Talk to your surgeon about scar massage etc.   Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon