Top 5 Questions I Should Ask my Breast Enlargement Surgeon?

How do I choose the most qualified doctor to perform the breast augmentation?

Top 5 questions that your breast augmentation surgeon needs to answer / Las 5 principales preguntas para su cirujano

+2

I agree with most of the answers from my colleagues.  1)  Need to be a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon accept no substitute!!  2)  Why or why not should I do a breast augmentation?  Do I need a lift as well? 3)How many have you performed recently? A hundred in a moderate or big city location per year is definitely a good reference number.  But be aware of the chop shops were they will not give you individual attention.  4)  Please show me your work?  5)  Do you use board certified anesthesiologist and what kind of facility do you use for the procedure?  Safety is the MOST IMPORTANT priority.  If the surgeon provides his own anesthesia beware.

Good luck and thank you for the question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Yo estoy de acuerdo con la mayoria de las respuestas de mis colegas. 1) Tiene que ser un cirujano plastico certificado, no acepte sustitucion! 2) Porque devo o no someterse a un aumento de senos? Necesito un levantamiento tambien? 3) Cuantas cirujias ha usted realizado recientemente?  Cientos en una moderada/gran ciudad al ano es definitivamente una buena referencia. Pero este pendiente de las clinicas de bajos recursos que atienden muchos pacientes al mismo tiempo, no le van a dar una atencion adecuada. 4) Por favor enseme su trabajo? 5) Usted trabaja con anestesiologos certificados y donde realiza sus procedimientos? Seguridad es la prioridad mas importante! Tenga cuidado se el cirujano prove su propia anestesia.

Suerte y gracias por la pregunta.

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

5 questions

+2

#1 – Are you board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons? 
#2 – Am I a good candidate?
#3 – What do you recommend for me and why?
#4 – How many breast augmentations have you performed?
#5 - Do you have before and after photos of your patients?

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

5 top questions to ask a breast surgeon

+1

I agree with all the above comments.  What you are looking for is experience and appropriate certification. It is vital that you inform your plastic surgeon about your expectations and see befor and after pictures of patient with similat anatomy to you.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Five Questions for Your Breast Augmentation

+1

The top five questions you should ask your plastic surgeon are

• Are you board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Accept no substitute
  • How many breast augmentations have you performed?
  • Do you have privileges at the local hospital to perform breast augmentation? This assures some form of credentialing and oversight even if the procedure is to be performed in an office or a free standing surgery center. if the answer is no, patient beware.
  • Ask to see photos of patients of your surgeon
  • Does he communicate well with you and do you think he understands your expectations?

Richard Linderman, MD

5 Questions To Ask Your Surgeon About Breast Augmentation

+1

Top 5 Questions I Would Ask Are:

1) Are you Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? If so, (and this must be a yes), how long have you been certified? If over 10 years ago, did you re-certify? This also should be a yes.

2) How many augmentations do you do a year? This number varies by locale, but in my opinion, should be more than 100 in larger metropolitan areas.

3) Can I see photos of  YOUR work and may I speak to YOUR patients as a reference?

4) What are the possible risks and complications of this procedure? How do you handle fees regarding complications if they do arise?

5) Finally, what should I expect during the recovery process? Pain, time off of work, when can I resume exercise? Etc.

There are are other questions, of course, but these 5  are a good start to your understanding of breast augmentation. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

How to choose your surgeon

+1

I will recommend that you go to see a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) and make sure they have privileges in hospitals.  From there, ask to see as many examples as possible, talk to patients who have had the procedure performed and see how comfortable you are communicating with the surgeon.  

Top Five Questions For Plastic Surgeon

+1

The are many questions that you ask the plastic surgeon whom you are interviewing for a possible braest augmentation.  I feel that the top five are: 1)  Are you certified by the American Board of Plaastic Surgery?  (note the specificity)  2)  How many breast augmentations have you performed?  3)  Are you a member of ASAPS and ASPS?  4)  What are the possible risks of this procedure?  5)  Do you have privileges to perform augmentations in a hospital operating room?  (be especially concerned if the answer to this question in no)

John Whitt, MD

+1

As usual Dr Rand is right on. I am adjusting these "TOP"5 to:

1. Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Accept NO substitute.

"PLUS" What hospital can you "do" this operation at?

2. How many breast augmentations do you perform annually?  I'd recommend at least 100. 

"PLUS" I disagree here, I feel 50 or more per year are acceptable

3. Please show me many photos of your own patients with starting points somewhat similar to mine? Must compare apples to apples.

"PLUS" can I see in person or speak with a few of your post patients?

4. Do you undersatnd the "look" I am going for?  This is vital in your mutual communication. 

"PLUS" none

5. Are my expectations realistic? again no "PLUS"

Choosing a breast augmentation doctor

+1

5 key questions to ask are:

3. Please show me many photos of your own patients with starting points somewhat similar to mine? Must compare apples to apples.

5. Are my expectations realistic?

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS