Does Being in Top Physical Shape Really Have an Impact on How Long Your Recovery Is?

I have wanted to lose weight since having my 3rd baby and upon deciding to have a mommy makeover I changed my lifestyle and got my butt moving. I have been working out hard for the last 8 months and am in the best cardio shape of my life. That says a lot because I used to be a x-country runner. I have lost weight, and built muscle and feel amazing. I am having a mini tt, breast aug, and lipo of inner+outer thighs and flanks. Will being in such good physical shape really help my recovery?

Being in good shape will help your cosmetic surgery recovery

+2

Absolutely!  Being in good shape usually means you don't smoke, you eat a healthy diet, and you take care of your skin.  These are all essential to a good post-operative recovery.

Get in shape before mommy makeover for quicker recovery

+2

Because a mommy makeover involves a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and breast surgery,  it is not a trivial operation and being overweight is a known risk factor for complications. What you also know after your great efforts to get in shape is that the surgery addresses all of the things that you can't accomplish with diet and exercise. The main thing to be aware of though is that there is a minimum healing time before you can resume vigorous physical exercise, and some people are tempted to push it too early. Your surgeon should be able to give you specific advice on this.

Best

Richard Baxter, MD

Top physical shape help recovery

+2

other than the BA, it should help. if you really bulked up on the pectoral muscle region, you may find more pain there, as well as longer for the muscle to relax if the implant is placed below the muscle.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Top physical shape will lead to a good recovery

+2

Of course anyone in excellent physical shape will experience a better recovery after tummy tuck or breast augmentation. Those who are very active should plan ahead for alternative exercises and energy releases as muscle repair after tummy tuck will require creative cross training for several weeks.

peterejohnsonmd

Being in good shape prior to "tummy tuck"

+2

Being in good shape is good -- for many reasons ,BUT make sure you understand what a mini  tummy tuck is , especially if you've carried 3 children to term.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after abdominoplasty

+2

Yes I think being in good physical (and emotional) shape will make your recovery be smoother than otherwise. Just one word of caution: most patients who have had three children aren't great candidates for min- tummy tuck surgery ( because of the abdominal wall by a diastasis  that usually  exists from the sternum down to the pubic bone), no  matter how great the shape they're in.

Make sure you are selecting a well-qualified/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and that you communicate your goals clearly. Make sure also that the operations you have chosen to undergo will meet your goals. Best wishes. 

Oh yes, Oh yes, being in top physical shape will definitely speed recovery after Mommy Makeover

+1

The most important issue affecting a speedy recovery after Mommy Makeover or any Cosmetic Surgery Procedure are:

1. Proper Surgical Technique by a skilled experienced Plastic Surgeon-reasonable choice of multiple procedures which can be safely done together

2. Short Operating and Anesthesia Time

3. Physical Condition and Excellent Health of the Patient

4. Proper diet and nutrition

5. Adequate Calm Rest and Recovery Post Operative

6. Positive Patient Attitude with adequate supportive psychological and physical support in the Post Operative Period

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Http://www.casas.md/index.php/dr-casas-in-the-news/dr-laurie-casas-quoted-in-msnbc

+1

Being in great shape and leading a healthy lifestyle are the keys to a quick and fast recovery. The only thing to add is a qualified surgeon and a family that will support you through your recovery. Continue to work out, eat a balanced diet, work on core strength and meet with 1-3 Plastic Sureons who are experienced with this type of body restorationn.

Laurie Casas, MD

Mommy makeover preparation

+1

Being in such great shape for your surgery can be of great benefit.  The one caution is allow yourself some time to heal after the surgery.  Overdoing physical activity after surgery too early can be detrimental.  Listen to your doctor's plan for recovery.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD