Top of Areolas Not Blending with Breast After Lift, Will it Smooth Out? (photo)

I was able to remove the surgical tape today from where my sutures were after vertical lift and silicone implants. My areolas were removed and completely resized due to them being so large before surgery. I noticed that the top of my areolas were not blending in with my breast. I'm wondering if this is normal and will it smooth out?

Breast lift and areola healing

It is not unusual to have some irregularity and/or raised scars around the areolas shortly after a breast lift.  The irregularities and scars do improve over time and it may take 6 to 12 months to see the final results.  You can help speed the healing process by applying topical silicone scar treaments such as Scar Guard, as well as topical moisturing creams and sun block.  Given time, I believe the scars will smooth out and fade.  Best of luck!

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

2581 Samaritan Drive
San Jose, CA 95124

Breast Lift and Incisions?

Thank you for the question and picture.

You will find that over the course of the next 2 months your incisions will look much better and probably “smooth out” nicely.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Concerned about appearance of areolas after breast lift

You are obviously very early in the healing process and the irregularities and unevenness that you are observing are common and not worrisome. Over time, swelling will subside and the incisions mature so that you should have far better leveling and blending though this process can take up to a year for maximal improvement.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

10290 N 92nd St
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Uneven areola after breast lift surgery

From your picture it seems that you have some of the common irregularities seen right after breast lift surgery. The most commonly seen after a peri-areolar or a doughnut mastopexy. That should improve with time and smooth out with as swelling improves and breast shape up!

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS

550 Biltmore Way
Miami, FL 33134

Scar issues

The issues that you are showing may be related to swelling.  Give it six months to a year. If they do not blend better, you may benefit from a scar revision.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Yes, they will

Yes, its early in your healing process and small irregularities of the areola border will fade as healing progresses.  Also, as a discussion point, during a breast lift, the areola is not removed it is simply freed from the surrounding tissue but left connected underneath and reduced in size as well as lifted into a better position.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260