Will Tooth Shaping Be Needed to Correct the Texture on the Surface of my Teeth After Braces?

What type of procedure is needed after braces are removed?

Occlusal Ajustments - tooth shaping

+1

This is common after orthodontics on adults, but should be limited in most cases.  We try to keep this to a minimum, but in some cases more may be necessary.  Depending on your situation you may not need tooth shaping or occlusal contouring at all.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth shaping after braces

+1

You won't need tooth shaping to correct the texture.  Your orthodontist will remove the bonding material on your teeth with a series of burs that will leave the enamel surface polished without the need to significantly remove tooth structure.

Hasan Othman, DDS, MS, PhD
Lombard Orthodontist

Will My Enamel Be Damaged When My Braces Are Removed?

+1

While it is possible that your enamle may be damaged when the braces are removed, it is very rare. Typically the bond between the cement and your teeth is stronger than the bond between the cement at the bracket. This means that the braces usually peel free from the teeth leaving the cement still intact. In our office we then use a very smooth polishing "point" on a hand piece to buff away the cement. The number one reason why teeth are damaged during orthodontic treatment is because of problems with hygiene. The braces themselves do not damage the enamel, but plaque left around them does. The enamel damage may be in the form of white spots at the gumline or around where the braces once were, or there may actually be indentations where the enamel has decayed. Both situations are 100% preventable with regular brushing.

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist

Cement removal and polishing after braces...

+1

Generally speaking, "tooth shaping" as you put it will not be needed, per se, to correct the texture of the surface of your teeth after braces. Your orthodontist will use what is call a finishing bur to remove the cement from your teeth. This bur will remove very minimal (less the .1mm) of enamel and may cause some surface scratching. Normally, a polishing bur is then used to remove these scratches from the teeth. All in all, enamel has very minimal damage with braces removal if done properly.

Mazyar Moshiri, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist