Can Tooth Grinding Dislodge Invisalign Attachments?

If this is the problem, what can be done to prevent invisalign attachments from popping off when I grind my teeth at night? Can a bit guard be used on top of invisalign?

Yes, Use a Bite Guard.

+1

Invisalign attachments can and do become dislodged on occasion. Should that occur, it is advisable to appoint with your orthodontist to have it replaced. It is possible that an attachment would break off from the tooth due to grinding teeth or simply from inserting or removing the aligners. If you are a “grinder” I do not recommend wearing a bite guard with the aligners.

New York Orthodontist

Invisalign attachments popping off.

+1

Invisalign attachments are used to help in the movement of teeth during invisalign treatment. If you are grinding your teeth severely then the aligners might help protect your teeth during treatment. It is unlikely that you will grind through the aligners or that attachments will pop off. The aligners cover the attachments and the force that is produced while grinding is unlikely to be transmitted to the attachments. Typical treatment involves wearing the aligners 2-3weeks and then changing to the next new aligner. The material is strong enough to withstand some aggressive grinding. Having said that your doctor should probably explore the reason for the grinding and try to address it either before or after the treatment.

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign and nite guards

+1

Hi- If you are a severe grinder and clencher, it is possible to wear a stress guard at night to relieve some of the grinding pressure. This stress guard should given to you and monitored by your orthodontist or dentist, and should be a bulk fit, not customized, as your teeth are moving with the invisalign.

New York Orthodontist

Tooth grinding does not dislodge Invisalign attachments

+1

Generally speaking, tooth grinding actually helps to seat your aligners better and to move your teeth into them. The presence of two layers of plastic between teeth also helps to separate them apart.

Additionally, most Invisalign attachements are more towards your gum than the edge of your teeth.  Invisalign, when setting up the case, tries to avoid "collisions" of the cusps of your teeth from any attachement. If there is a collision, they notify the doctor. Thus, ask your doctor if their is a collision on your clinical check animation, this may help to better answer your question.

Saint Louis Orthodontist