Too Young for Facelift and Cheek Implants?

I'm 20 years old and I'm unsatisfied with the way my mid-lower face appears. I think I'd benefit from getting a mid-face lift with cheek implants. Am I too young to be getting these procedures done?

Cheek Implants Are Okay For Young Patient, But Not Facelift

+1

A facelift is designed to address sagging tissue (skin, muscle, fat), and this only occurs as we age. At 20 years old, the amount of sagging tissue would probably not be severe enough to warrant a facelift. However, this can only be confirmed with an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon. 

On the other hand, young patients can receive cheek implants if deemed medically suitable. You can also try getting fillers, a nonsurgical treatment that adds volume, to see if it is sufficient to address your aesthetic concerns.

Too Young for Facelift and Cheek Implants

+1

You will not be a candidate for a mid facelift and cheek implants. Without photos, there is no basis to make a solid recommendation. However, if you need to restore volume to those areas, lifestyle changes (such as exercise or dietary changes) or nonsurgical options (such as fillers or skin care) may be more in line. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

20 year old adn facelift

+1

Yes, you are too young for a facelift. If you feel your cheeks are a bit flat, a great way to build them up without having surgery and cheek implants, is to have some facial fillers placed.

20 year old facelift

+1

A 20 year old is too young for a facelift.  Seek the advice from a facial plastic/ plastic surgeon who can discuss reasons for dissatisfaction with your facial appearance and see if either a lifestyle change (diet excercise), skin care routine or nonsurgical procedure will address this concern.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best age for first facelift

+1

Facelift surgery can be performed as early as early 30s, all the way into 80s and late 80s. Each individual is quite unique and each individual has different concerns and potential benefits. This is exactly where experience is extremely key to achieve the best result based on the individual patients concerns. For instance, a young individual with a good deal of adipose deposition or fatty changes to the face can benefit from liposculpture and sometimes some “tightening” (a form of facelift). But on the other hand, it is important not to jump in to have a facelift too soon as it is only in the instance of potentially achieving a real improvement is a facelift or mini facelift warranted. Essentially if an individual is properly motivated even at a young age and if there are moderate changes that could benefit from facelift then facelifting could be entertained. It is not an issue of age so much as it is for motivation, expectation and overall potential benefit determined by an expert facial plastic surgeon. The most common time period whereby individuals desire and benefit from a facelift is in the 50 to 65 year age range, but there are a number of patients who really do benefit in their early 40s.

David Q. Santos, MD

Age appropriate recommendations

+1

Few surgeons would recommend any kind of facelift on such a young patient. Obviously a thorough analysis of your facial features will help allow an experienced surgeon such as myself to make recommendations as to what can be done, for example volume augmentation with Sculptra, or liposuction, or perhaps a cheek implant.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate age for facelift

+1

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best age for midfacelift

+1

I just read a lot of the published answers and I am confused by some of them myself.  I am not really sure how someone can say that you are too young for a cheek lift but not to young for cheek fillers. I think that a lot of surgeons probably dont have a lot of experience with a midfacelift.  There is no skin removal with a midfacelift, it is simply an elevation of the malar fat pad. 

This will give the same exact result as fillers, fat injections or cheek implants only with minor difference is results. I do believe you are too young for a Facelift.  However, some people have real congenital abnormalities that require volume to the midface.  I am here to tell you that a midfacelift does the same exact thing as fillers or cheek implants except your own fat is placed into a higher position.  If you look on my website (not to promote myself but simply to educate you) you will see about 5 people who are in their 20's that had cheeklifts because of anatomically flat midfaces. 

One of these people was featured on Dr. 90210. These people opted for that option instead of fillers or cheek implants but the indications are EXACTLY the same.  This is not to say that you need anything done, but if you do have a negative vector and a congenitally abnormal droopy cheek congenitally that really bothers you and affects your self esteem and quality of life.then you may be the PERFECT candidate for a cheeklift.  I would never recommend surgery first. 

Fillers are a great way to see what the lift may look like but I certainly would discuss all options with you and let you speak to patients who had the procedures done and help you make a decision that is right for you. Most people in their 20's don't need any of these things done but every now and then someone does.  Hope that helps.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

20 Years Old? Don't be talked into a Facelift

+1

The answer is yes, you are far too young for a mid-Facelift. Unfortunately, there is probably someone out there who is willing to do it for you. There are many other options (including fillers like Radiesse and volumizers like Sculptra) which would represent better choices

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimum Face Lift Surgery Age

+1

Mid face lift or neck lift surgery are not performed in younger men or women. Better alternatives to help improve facial features in younger patients include injectable facial fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, etc), Botox Cosmetic, skin care, or chemical peels. Facial augmentation with silicone cheek implants may be appropriate. Other patients may require more facial plastic surgery on their cheeks or chin to improve facial balance.

A comprehensive evaluation by a plastic surgeon specializing in the face can help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon