Will my Breast Tissues Be Over-stretched by the Time I Downsize?

My breast implants are way to large for me. I currently have 400cc high profile implants, and I want to downsize to 250cc moderate. My doctor won't do it for another 3 months. Will my tissues be stretched out too much by then for my smaller implant? I am young and in good shape. I wanted much smaller than what I got, maybe a nice B or small C size but I'm a D! I started with a small A.

Downsizing implants is a reasonable option for you

+3

Even though you are distraught and disappointed over your results, revision surgery is an option for you. Exchanging the breast implants for smaller ones is not difficult, and is associated with a shortened recovery time. I would have this surgery sooner within the next couple of weeks,rather than later to avoid further relation and stretching of the skin and soft tissues. I would strongly encourage you to return to your treating plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns with him/her. Communication is essential! I hope you find this helpful.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing sooner may be a better option for you

+2

Nothing elicits more anxiety than breast size. It is helpful to have a thorough discussion PRIOR to surgery so that everyone is on the same page when it comes to size. I never assume that I know what a C or D cup size is. I typically have the patient bring me in a photo of their desired size and shape. I never guarantee a cup size.

As for you, it seems that you are quite dissatisfied with your current size. If you were an A cup size, then it is likely that a 400 cc implant was a shock to your system and you are obviously having a tough time adjusting. Most patients, when asked, will tell us that they are happy with their size, but if they had it to do over again they would be a bit larger. This, of course, is not every one.

Decreasing your size from 400 cc to 250 cc would take you down a little less than one cup size. If there was a total lack of communication prior to surgery, and you want to go to a smaller size, I would suggest sooner rather than later. You never stated how long it has been since your original surgery, but if your skin is stretched to the maximum and you are a thin woman, earlier switch out may be better since the base diameter of the smaller implant would be significantly smaller than the existing 400 cc implant. Discuss your options with your plastic surgeon.

Wait 3-6 months after breast augmentation

+2

Operating too soon can certainly lead to long term problems. The capsule around the implant should be allowed to fully mature before entering it again. That would be 3 to 6 months. That will also allow you enough time to know if you are just swollen and the implants need to settle or if you really need smaller implants. Your skin should tolerate that time period just fine. There is a HUGE difference between a 400cc HP and a 250cc mod. Make sure it's what you want. Somewhere along the line before surgery, there must have been a bit of a misunderstanding.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

You do not need to wait

+2

In many cases, the results of breast augmentation may initially look too large and round. The shape will frequently mature into a more natural appearing breast over the first 3 to 6 months. I have seen many patients who initially thought there implants were too large who after 3 to 6 months were very happy with their appearance. However, if you are absolutely sure that the breast implants are too large for you, there is no need to wait to have them exchanged. The longer you have excessively large implants in place, the more stretching of the tissue you will see.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

You do not need to wait

+2

If you are not happy with size and you want smaller then your doctor should put smaller implants. The only reason to wait is to make sure you will not change your mind and also make sure all the swelling post surgery is resolved. Waitting longer will not strech your skin . My question to you is did you discuss the size before surgery with your doctor ?

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

I guess you didn't like the advice given on your 3/1 question

+2

Zuelkea,
I would have to agree with the advice that you received the other day recommending that you wait a few months to see if you "grow into your implants." Many patients when they first receive their implants feel that the implants are way too big, are in their throats choking them, and look pornographic. It really does take a few months for the swelling to completely resolve, the skin to relax and the implants to settle down. If you are absolutely sure that you have to put in smaller implants at this early juncture (3 weeks post surgery) then do it now. Your surgeon may be buying time for you to accept the size, as most patients inevitably do. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

I would replace the implants as soon as possible.

+2

Hi! You are young and fit and your tissues are elastic; so your breasts will probably be OK in any case. But, why wait? The implants are stretching your tissues right now.

If you wanted to go bigger, then I would wait to make sure you were doing the right thing. But as it is, you are OBVIOUSLY doing the right thing.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Can't Predict.

+2

The result will depend on the elasticity of your tissues. You may be fine, or not. In your favor is your youth and condition. The longer the implants are in, the more stretch there will be. On the other hand, you don't want to do surgery until the tissues are ready.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Not easy to predict...

+2

Each patient will respond differently. Part of it depends on what you started with in terms of tissue pliability and size. Each will also tolerate different degrees of imperfection in terms of size, shape, symmetry, and laxity. Certainly going from a 400cc high profile to a 250 cc moderate is significant, especially in someone who started out an A cup. However, if your tissues are elastic and you weren't too sagging, you might be able to achieve a more acceptable result than you currently have. No pun intended, but going from an A to a D is a stretch.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Your breasts are probably still swollen after augmentation

+2

I clearly understand your predicament and have had this scenario occur frequently. Typically, in the end, patients are generally satisfied with the size; rarely, do patients seek to downsize their implants.

Give it time. Studies have shown that at this point in time you are likely exhibiting a 10% component of swelling. For example if your natural breast is 175 and your breast implant is 375, your augmented breast should be 175 +375 = 550. However, special cameras will likely your breast at 600 or more. This may take 6-9 months to resolve but reassure yourself and your husband that this is the case.

In the event, you feel, they are still too large then surgery may be contemplated but do not rush into this. More often then not when the swelling has subsided patients feel that the size is satisfactory and frequently smaller than they would prefer.

Altough some have expressed comments that your implants were large, I recently informally contacted the breast implant manufacturer and a representative told me that approximately 85% of implants chosen fall between 325-375. Given this, I would say that you are in the range of "normal". Clearly, there are other factors such as the profile and your pre-existing breast tissue.

Take a deep breath and give it some time. The additional swelling that occurs in the early postop period (3 weeks) can create the impression of bigger breasts. Some patients describe the implants as "sitting under their chin". As the implants settle, they will drop slightly and this will give the appearance of a smaller breast. IF you have ever built a house, you will know that the house settles. How much? It varies and is unpredictable.