Nose Too Flat for Rhinoplasty?

It seems like everyone here has something to work with. I don't have much of it. It's wide, flat, and crooked. It used to be the bane of my existence, but I guess I had to grow into it. It doesn't look too bad now, but with plastic surgey being closer within my grasp, I would love to have a bit more projection, like show everyone that I have nostrils, well aesthically anyway. Can it be done with my nose, or am I just stuck with it?

Rhinoplasty options for a flat nose

+1

You do have options with ethnic rhinoplasty. The crookedness can be straightened out. An alar base augmentation with ear cartilage graft set at the base of the nostrils will add a projection to the nose. The tip techniques that are required to give you more projection to your nose will include suturing the cartilages together with a cartilaginous projection strut and maybe even adding some grafts on top of that such as an extended shield graft.

Tip and Dorsal Augmentation for African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

To correct the low bridge and flat wide tip, you would benefit from what I call the " three tiered approach". The first tier involves building up the bridge with a custom carved silastic implant called the "slupimplant". Make sure you DONT get preformed "one size fits all" implant. The second tier involves using cartilage grafts to build up your tip and provide projection and support for your drooping tip. The last tier involves removing any fat in the tip that may be adding to the bulbous nature of your nose. For more illustrations please refer to my website below.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose can be improved significantly by augmenting the present structures to increase your projection and definition. Altough many good surgeons use different material for the grafts, I prefer to use the patient'sr own cartilage. See a surgeon experienced in ethnic rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty for low bridge and poor projection

+1

It seems that your nose has a low profile dorsal line and poor tip projection. This can be significantly improved by grafting thes areas.  It certainly can be obtainable.

African-American Nose Job (Rhinoplasty)

+1

In Western society, we have become accustomed to visually equate rhinoplasty with Reduction Rhinoplasty, in which hook noses and other prominent nasal dorsums are brought down, smoothed and or narrowed. But - this is just a part of what rhinoplasty can do.

In Black noses, the cosmetic problem is quire different. The noses frequently LACK a dorsum, the nose is low and the nostrils are flaring. To correct this you would need an Augmentation Rhinoplasty with tip refinement and correction of nasal flaring. The ball-like nasal tip is refined and placed higher with a cartilage graft. The dorsum of the nose is elevated with a cartilage or bone graft and the flaring is reduced (Weir excision).

Look for an experienced ethnic rhinoplasty surgeon.

Nose surgery can improve the projection and shape of your nose

+1

Hello - It appears as though you're a great candidate for a rhinoplasty. During a rhinoplasty, your nose can be narrowed and grafts can be added to the bridge in order to add volume and projection. Grafts can also be used to straighten out your nose. The grafts come from cartilage inside your nose and extra cartilage from your ears. The procedure takes about 3-4 hours and the discomfort is controlled well with oral pain medication. All in all, a rhinoplasty can be a very satisfying procedure for you.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Augmentation Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Anon Maryland,

Your nasal bridge can be built up with grafts during rhinoplasty. The graft material may be your own cartilage, or an implant, I prefer Medpor (Porex) for what you desire. Consult with experienced rhinoplasty surgeons, and then choose your surgeon carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

There are limitations with what you could expect with Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I agree that you would benefit most from tip projection so you wouldn't have such a "flat" appearance. Tip projection is best achieved with septal cartilage grafts: likely you would need a columella-strut, and an "extended-shield" tip graft (Pre-columella-lobule tip graft) for adequate projection.

In my experience, African skin is thick, and cartilage is weak. This combination may lead to results that are less than expected.

If you're ready to check your options, you should consult several board-certified, experienced ethnic-Rhinoplasty specialists with many photos before you proceed.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Augmenting the flat nose.

+1

Yes, your nose can be helped greatly by using your own cartilage for your septum and or ear to raise your tip and bridge. See a rhinoplasty specialist who is experienced in ethnic rhinoplasty to get the best result.

Rhinoplasty for flat nose

+1

Yes, your nose could certainly be helped with a rhinoplasty. You may require grafts to elevate the nasal tip and provide volume to the dorsum. You should see a surgeon in your area who is experienced with rhinoplasty surgery. Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS