Will a Tongue-in-groove Maneuver Fix That my Nose Appears Crooked?

After two surgeries last one over a year ago I have a hanging columella my right nostril hangs lower than the Left and i think thats what makes my nose appear crooked. If I get a tongue-in-groove maneuver will that correct the appearance of my curved nose? And is it safe after having two surgeries?

+1

The hanging columella can be addressed in this manner.  Asymmetry may require other maneuvers.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty for crooked columella

+1

A columella-plasty is all that is required when the  caudal septum is crooked. Differential amounts of skin and cartilage from the columella are trimmed back and sewn into place to prevent columellar show. A tongue and groove technique will  increase or decrease projection of the nose. Please see the link below for examples of a columellar-plasty performed in our practice.

Tongue and groove

+1

The tongue and groove technique is used to the hanging columella.  It will not change alar asymmetry.  This technique not be affected by previous surgery. Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon. 

Donald Nunn, MD

Tongue and groove in revision rhinoplasty

+1

Tongue and groove requires presence of septal cartilage, which may be lacking after two surgeries. It is also just one technique to deal with a hanging columella and asymmetric nostrils. I would avoid focusing on a particular technique and recommend an evaluation by several rhinoplasty specialists with experience in revision rhinoplasty. Depending on exam, your problem may be solved with a simpler approach. Good luck,

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tongue in groove technique for hanging columella

+1

There are several ways to correct hanging columella, depending on the problem at hand. Tongue in groove is an excellent technique for correction of the hanging columella as well as for improving tip support, change of rotation or projection. It can, and frequently is used in revision rhinoplasty. I personally love this technique and use it in at least 90% of my rhinoplasty surgeries, weather primary or revisions. However, not everyone is a candidate for tongue in groove; this needs to be decided during consultation. Moreover, not every columellar show should be corrected with tongue in groove. 

My advise is to get a consultation with experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to come up with the best solution for your individual problem. Good luck!

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

There are many ways to repair a hanging columella.

+1

In our practice, a hanging columella may be treated by dividing the lower lateral cartilages at their angles which results in straightening of the medial crura. A tongue-in-groove procedure involves suturing your medial crura to your septum. This may result in improvement of your hanging columella, depending on the expertise of your surgeon.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon