Tongue and Groove Technique for Rhinoplasty?

Hello, I had a primary where the tongue and groove technique was used. This left me with a retracted columella, a flat infra-tip lobule, and the curve of my upper lip has been diminished. A revision surgeon I consulted with recently said that this technique is not one that is used very often for this reason and all of the surgeons that I have consulted with intend to release it as part of the revision. My question is this: if this technique has so many drawbacks, why use it at all? Thanks.

Tongue & Groove Technique

+1

Unfortunately, without the before and after photos it is not possible to provide you with the appropriate opinion about your case.

Nonetheless, the tongue & groove method provides you with great results if you were to be the right candidate for it.

That being said, commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of corrective surgeries dramatically.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Tongue in groove technique

+1

The tongue in groove technique is very good when used for the right reasons and when the patient's anatomy allows for it. Everyone is a little different . That is what makes rhinoplasty unique and exciting.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tongue and groove technique

+1

The tongue and groove technique can be very useful in some cases.  Rhinoplasty is a very  customized surgery and all techniques do not work in all patients.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Tongue and groove setback technique

+1

The tongue and groove setback technique itself isn't the problem. I actually find it to be quite useful in many cases.

The key is in the position of your caudal septum. In your case it sounds like the septum didn't extend out far enough, so when the columellar tip cartilages were setback onto the septum it created a retracted appearance.

If the septum extends out further or if the columella is hanging the setback technique works quite well. A caudal septal extension graft can be used to extend a shorter septum and then the tongue in groove setback can be done with this graft.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD