Does being prone to keloids increase my risk for capsular contracture after a breast augmentation?

African american. 23. 5'6. 120lb. My c section left me with a scar that formed a keloid. Most of my family have keloidal skin. My mother can't even pierce her ears. I do have ear piercings. Does this factor increase my risk for capsular contracture if I get a breast augmentation?

Keloid Scar Risk And Capsular Contracture After Breast Augmentation

+1
Thank you for your question. There are no studies that link formation of capsular contracture and keloid. Your history of keloid formation doesn't necessarily mean you are at a higher risk for forming a contracture. Choosing an incision in the breast fold if you have a breast augmentation would be wise as it would reduce tension on the area as well as give some camouflage if you were to form a keloid. I hope this was helpful. 

Does keloid increase my risk for capsular contracture?

+1
Great question. To date I have never read any articles that talk about an increase in capsular contracture rates in patients that form keloids. It is not a typical area to form a keloid as they are usually on the outer surface of the skin. I do not think you should have any concerns moving forward.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Keloid and capsules

+1
It makes sense that if you are prone to keloids you also have a greater chance of capsules since both are determined by too much collagen formation.  Surprisingly, this has never been studied scientifically, but I think it increases your risk.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Does a keloid increase my risk for capsular contracture?

+1
Thanks so much for your question. The short answer is no, there is no known connection. I think you should be fine to go forward with a breast augmentation. You have the standard risk of contracture with or without a history of keloid. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Keloid and capsular contracture

+1
There's nothing demonstrated regarding a relation between keloids and capsular contracture, so don't be afraid of that. What is really demonstrated that when we place the silicone implants under the muscular fascia it lowers the risks of a capsular contracture. Just choose an ASAPS member plastic surgeon.

Luis Lopez Tallaj, MD

Does being prone to keloids increase my risk of contracture following augmentation mammoplasty ?

+1
theoretically yes. however, I don't think it  has been formally studied.  I have only seen one true keloid scar following augmentation mammoplasty, and it was in an african american women who did not get a contracture on either side.

William Jervis, Jr., MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon

No link between keloids and capsular contracture

+1
Keloids are abnormal scar tissue in the skin, and capsular contracture around a breast implants is an abnormal scarring that occurs deep within the breast. There are no studies or research linking these two conditions. This being said, capsular contracture and unsightly scars are two of the biggest concerns for every woman considering breast augmentation.

A C-section scar does not always heal well for a variety of reasons - obstetricians don't always use plastic surgical techniques to close the incision, and you may not have used scar reduction treatments after your procedure. Your keloid scar in your abdomen should not discourage you from pursuing breast augmentation but you should be very conscientious with your scars after breast augmentation. First of all you should choose an incision location that would be easiest to hide an unsightly scar. I would recommend the inframammary crease where there is very little tension which helps decrease the risk of keloid formation. In this location, a scar can hide better under the curve of the breast (compared to around the areola or in the axilla). I would also recommend that you use scar reduction techniques for a couple of months after surgery - either silicone sheeting or the Embrace advanced scar reduction therapy which have been shown to improve scars if used during the early healing phase.

Capsular contracture is not well understood by us as plastic surgeons. We believe that a good surgical technique that minimizes bleeding and protects the implant from any contamination can keep the risk low. Studies have also shown that several factors can keep the risk of capsular contracture low, and these include: an inframammary incision, a submuscular placement of implants, textured implants, and implants that or neither too big or too small for a patients breast dimensions.

Kamakshi Zeidler, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Keloids and capsules

+1
I have seen nothing in the literature linking keloid formation with capsular contractures. However, if severe keloid scarring runs in your family, it might contraindicate augmentation  based on the risk of unsightly scarring.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Does being prone to keloids increase my risk for capsular contracture after a breast auentation?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question. The understanding of what exactly is, let alone causes, capsular contracture is still in debate. Regardless, there is no literature that supports an association between keloids and capsular contracture.  Thus, the risk of capsular contracture following a breast augmentation, albeit small, is still a possibility. However, there should be no increased risk of such with your tendency to form keloid scars.  Hope that this helps. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Keloids and capsular contracture

+1
I have not seen anything in the literature linking keloids to capsular contracture.  These occur in totally different tissues so likely are unrelat3d.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon