Will Velashape Combined with Microdermabrasion Help with Stretch Marks?

I was told that by having Velashape and Microderm treatments will improve stretch marks? I am one month out of having tummy tuck surgery, and I am bothered by the left over stretch marks. I was told by a laser specialist that by having 5 treatments of Velashape and 12 treatments of Microderm for the body will help improve the appearance of my stretch marks. Is this possible?

Treating Stretch Marks

+1

Thank you for your question. To treat your stretch marks, I would suggest Fraxel Laser, FotoFacial IPL, or ReFirme Laser. In my experience, these have all given excellent results for reducing stretch marks. 

Microdermabrasion and velashape for stretch marks

+1

Over decades there have been many claims of improvement with stretch marks. This is a difficult problem to treat and the mature or white stretch marks are much more difficult to improve than the newer red ones, the latter which can be treated by V-beam laser with some improvement. For microdermabrasion to give a permanent or long term improvement, the treatment would have to affect the dermis. Normal microdermabrasion is only an exfoliator which removes cells from the dead layer of skin and a few of the epithelial cells. Once you abrade into the dermis, there will be bleeding points and a risk of hyperpigmentation and scarring. The Velashape may improve the texture because of swelling but it is difficult to imagine that it can produce long term results. if this were studied scientifically with a double blind controlled methodology than it might be worth investing the money in a series of treatments but for now, if you don't know of people who have had it done with good results, be skeptical.

Ronald Shelton, MD