I have been told I have tubular breasts is this deformity able to be corrected and if so how? (photo)

I'm 26 and have always been embarrassed about the way my breast look and have never been able to find a bra that fits well. I decided to finally do something about it and went for a bra fitting to see where I was going wrong, it was then the lady said about this deformity. I am now looking for it to be corrected (implants) and finally feel confident in myself but don't know where to start and don't want to go to any consultations without being in the know. Can you help

+2
'Tuberous' is used to define a set of characteristics found in some breasts. That being said, there is a continuum, and on one end there are people with 'classic' tuberous breasts and on the other there are people that might just have one of the characteristics, sometimes in just one breast. It can be confusing!

While you aren't a person with 'classic' findings, you do seem to have some characteristics of tuberous breasts, at least from looking at the photographs. An in-person exam is better, and also a lateral photograph can help show areolar herniation.

Honestly, whether you are 'tuberous' or not doesn't matter too much. It's not as important to define your breast shape as it is to decide whether you want surgery to try to change the shape. If you're ready for that step, find a plastic surgeon you are comfortable with and who recognizes your concerns and has experience fixing them. A good place to start is online by looking at before-and-after photographs and finding patients who have breasts like yours. If you like their results, and the plastic surgeon is qualified, then that is a good person to start with :)

Hope that helps!
CDK

Reston Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

+1
You do not have tubular breasts, but have large areolas and small volume. I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Through the same incision, implants can be placed. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant. Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it. Unfortunately, you have not told us your bra size. If you are 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. If you are 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

You do not have tuberous breasts

+1
Based on your photographs you do not have tuberous breasts and the lady at the bra store is wrong.

Based on your photographs you should be able to have an excellent result with standard breast augmentation.

Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon who is very experienced in breast surgery and has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Not the "classic" Tuberous breast

+1
You do not have the classic Tuberous breasts. Your breasts are tight, with a short lower pole and an enlarged areola. You will probably benefit from an augmentation plus/minus a circumareolar reduction. You do not need to be embarrassed any more. Enjoy.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

I have been told I have tubular breasts is this deformity able to be corrected and if so how?

+1
Be careful taking advice from someone that is not a surgeon/plastic surgeon regarding any "deformity" of your breasts.  It is really impossible to determine if you in fact have a tuberous breast or not from these photos.  If it is the case, it certainly can be corrected with surgery including use of special techniques as well as implants.  Regardless, if you consult with a plastic surgeon he/she should be able to identify your concerns, perform an examination, and provide you with recommendations for a plan to correct the things you dislike.  Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tubular breasts? yes or no

+1
Many thanks for the question.You dont have Tuberous breast.You simply need augmentation and would be great.

Wish you all the best

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+1
You do not have tuberous breasts.  The labeling of your breast as tuberous is incorrect and often places a patient with a stigmata of having some weird medical condition. You have saggy breasts with uneven inframammary folds.  The right breast fold is slightly higher and tighter than the left.  This should be easily corrected with breast implants placed correctly to even out the inframammary fold asymmetry.  The right breast may need to have some of the old bands in the inframammary fold released so that area rounds out and fills in properly.  This is not difficult to do. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

+1
Thank you for your question.  The best way to be in the know is to have an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  There is not a replacement for a doctor to patient exam.

I cannot tell completely from the pictures if you have tuberous breasts or not.  The right appears more likely to be tuberous.

The good news is that this can be corrected and made to look better.  In my practice, patients with tuberous breasts have had excellent results with augmentation, mastopexy or combination of both.

Good luck!

Joseph W. Aguiar, MD