I Was Told I Cannot Get a Tattoo Over a Tummy Tuck Scar Although it has Been Four Months, Why is this?

I Was Told I Could Not Get a Tatto over my Tummy Tuck Scar by an Tatto Artist Its Been 4 Months Why is This

Ask your tattoo artist

+1
Scarring can take up to a year or so to mature, and during this time the area may still be discoloured. Usually, it is red/pinkish and even brownish. If a tattoo artist applies pigment here, it could affect the colour of the tattoo, or your scar may not be resilient enough at the moment to withstand the tattoo application process. Regardless, you should ask your tattoo artist why as they will let you know.

Waiting to tattoo a scar

+1

The tattoo artist may be concerned about color changes in your scar.  At four months, it is likely still pink or red.  It's likely prudent to wait for it to fade so your tattoo artist can get the colors just right. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Tattoos over scars.

+1

If a scar is well healed, I don't see any issue with having a tattoo placed over it. We recommend this all the time in nipple reconstruction following breast cancer. There's no physiologic reason that I can think of for recommending against this. A simple phone call to your plastic surgeon to understand why you are recommended against a tattoo sounds reasonable.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo over Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

I am not sure why you were given that advise, but maybe things haven't completely healed after your tummy tuck surgery and your surgeon wants to wait until everything is 100% healed. It is good to address this question with your plastic surgeon.

I have had many of my tummy tuck patients get tattoos over the incision line without complications.